PDA

View Full Version : nVidia NV30 vs. Matrox Parhelia

gs2k1
7th April 2002, 03:56
There are rumours about the new nVidia card... Will "our" Parhelia beat this nVidia crap?

nv30 rumours:

- Omen Card
- AGP 4x and 8x
- Copper Core Gpu Processor 0.13 m default clock 450 MHz
- 73 million transistors
- 8 pipes
- Quad Vertex Shaders
- Dual Pixel Shaders
- 85 bone capable
- Lightspeed Memory Architecture III
- Quad Cache memory caching subsystem
- Dual Z-buffers for greater compression without losses
- Visibility subsystem
- NvAuto advanced pre-charge
- Direct X 9.X compatible
- Latest Open Gl
- Backward glide game capable thanks to NvBlur (Yes a new version of Glide!)

more here: http://gtech.caro.ro/stiri.php?id=43

Hyp-X
7th April 2002, 04:20
I find it funny when clueless people speculate about upcoming chipsets, be it nv30, r300 or Parhelia...

They always have something which reveals that the specs are fictitious. This time it's the glide support.

cjolley
7th April 2002, 06:00
Originally posted by Hyp-X
I find it funny when clueless people speculate about upcoming chipsets, be it nv30, r300 or Parhelia...

They always have something which reveals that the specs are fictitious. This time it's the glide support.

I thought NvBlur was already a feature on most of thier cards.
chuck

atko
7th April 2002, 07:58
Originally posted by cjolley
Are you talkin' about the excellent image quality? ;)

ALBPM
7th April 2002, 08:43
Yes!!!! The Matrox card will work. nVidiot's card may not.

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32235

Paul

MK
7th April 2002, 11:21

I thought NvBlur was already a feature on most of thier cards

chuck - LOL !!

MK :)

Tilsan
8th April 2002, 05:41

chuck

Correct and it works very well I might add :D

Till

Peter Aragon
8th April 2002, 05:45
Must have been a lot of work to implement it in 2D as well :D

Peter Aragon
8th April 2002, 09:22
G1000-MAXXX thread on Matrox Site (http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/Forum8/HTML/000932-6.html)

Haig (responding to NV30 specs)

I personally get impressed when I see new technology that can sustain performance or have a minimal performance hit when enabled which I don't see in that spec. All I see are items that are supposed to be improved from their previous chip.
BTW, what's a re-programmable DVD and TV decoder chip?

Haig, when are we going to see any spectaculair pics (with framecount) of things beyond the capabilities of current graphics cards on the market?

ps. I really think Haig should give Chuck a little bit of credit on the nvBlur joke hehehe

cjolley
8th April 2002, 09:39
Originally posted by Peter Aragon
......ps. I really think Haig should give Chuck a little bit of credit on the nvBlur joke hehehe

Well, my 50th birthday is coming May 10 if he's listening :D
chuck

Peter Aragon
8th April 2002, 09:48
Mine is Sept 6th, should be in time for board rev. 1.2 :D

DukeP
8th April 2002, 09:52
Ach. Im not up until oktober 25. I dont think I can wait so long.

I wonder if I will have to?
;)

~~DukeP~~

Jammrock
8th April 2002, 12:42
I think BitBoys Oy is going to surprise us all and release the greatest video card chipset ever seen!!!

Jammrock

cjolley
8th April 2002, 13:28
Originally posted by Jammrock
I think BitBoys Oy is going to surprise us all and release the greatest video card chipset ever seen!!!

Jammrock

Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!
chuck

Elie
8th April 2002, 13:40
I wouldn't count on Bit Boys OY! to produce anything this year or ever :)

Mad Maxtrox
8th April 2002, 19:22
Jammrock, Bitboys will suprise some people, but what makes you think THEY will release the greatest video chipset ever??????

Jammrock
8th April 2002, 21:40
I guess it is Monday, so know one here understands SARCASIM!!!

Jammrock

Novdid
9th April 2002, 01:48
They will have me surprised if they ever manage to release anything.:p

Marshmallowman
9th April 2002, 07:43
HEY...they released plenty of press releases :p

KeiFront
9th April 2002, 09:57
ATI Mobility M9 to include all R300 features
http://www.theinquirer.net/08040211.htm

The card will have "full R300 functionality" so you can expect to see eight pipelines and four TMUs.

Yes, it will have displacement maps since everybody is talking about this for ages, and it will have pixel and vertex 2.0 support since that is just what you will find in DirectX 9.1

TdB
9th April 2002, 10:48
Originally posted by KeiFront
ATI Mobility M9 to include all R300 features
http://www.theinquirer.net/08040211.htm

wouldn´t that consume too much power? :confused:

DuRaNgO
9th April 2002, 10:49
of course, it will downgrade to a Rage IIc when not plugged in :D

Greebe
9th April 2002, 10:55
Power is not a problem... they'll just slap an optional 10kg of batteries just for graphics support.

Or they're thinking along the lines of GPUidle :p

Parhelia Pro256
9th April 2002, 11:00
kinda like putting snow tyres on a jet powered funny car :(

Novdid
9th April 2002, 13:28
The latest powersaving technologies in ATI products actually seem to disable blocks of the GPU when they aren't needed, or when power supply is low.

So what Durango said is probably very true. :p

az
9th April 2002, 18:51
I think it'll be more along the lines of what Greebe said. Not that I believe the above news regarding m9 to be true, but AFAIK nV have used a power-saving design where unused parts of the graphics chip were powered down.

AZ

EDIT: Cleared up my wording a little :)

Wombat
9th April 2002, 19:34
Well if it's static logic, then all they have to do is shut down a few inputs, and maybe the clock (since that can be 20% or so of power drain). Much easier for a video chip than a processor.

rubank
10th April 2002, 03:14
Yesterdays problem, according to <a href="http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2002/04/09/200204090025.asp" target="_blank">Samsung</a>.

rubank

Wombat
10th April 2002, 09:05
Only 20% over current batteries. And today's batteries are way too low on charge anyway.

Dr Mordrid
10th April 2002, 09:28
These techs will go by the wayside soon anyhow, being replaced by micro-fuel cells. Closer than you think.

Dr. Mordrid

Wombat
10th April 2002, 10:03
I've been following those. Can't really say I think that we will switch all that soon. The only prototypes I know of run on methane. Even if they make it reasonably safe and easy to recharge the cell, there are still some major hurdles. Batteries are much easier to recharge: you can find a wall socket anywhere.

I think batteries will hang around for a long time, just because fuel is more travel restrictive. I can't really see the airlines letting anyone bring on a pressurized canister of explosives on the planes any time soon.

GNEP
10th April 2002, 10:11
but the great thing about fuel cells is that they are producing electricity, and so if there is a wall socket or a airline seat power socket around, you use that.

otherwise, use methane, hydrogen or whatever the fuel cell runs off - generally a much higher energy density stored up per kilo than a chemical battery.

But I still think that we will see the things in cars before we see them in computers, and I don't see them in cars yet (outside of research labs)

gnep

Dr Mordrid
10th April 2002, 10:22
The Univ. of Pennsylvania announced in Nature magazine back in 2000 that they have developed a portable fuel cell that runs on butane, which is available at any tobaccanist.

The U of P cells can run directly on hydrocarbon compounds without the need to reduce them to hydrogen first. One version runs on conventional diesel fuel as sold at thousands of gas stations worldwide.

Other fuel cells are in development that use methanol directly, which you can get at any paint store. These are targeted precisely at laptops and other portable devices. To quote one manufacturer (SmartFuelCell GMBH);

"On one single fuel cartridge containing 125 ml of methanol, a laptop can be operated for a full working day. The cartridge can be exchanged in a few seconds even during operation."

Evaluation production started in January and they expect to ramp up for commercial production next year if all goes well.

If fuel cells work out, and it's increasing looking like they will in one form or another, the conversion to using biomass, natural gas and other renewable fules instead of petroleum could well begin in short order.

This may also let us tell our middle eastern "friends" to go p*** up a rope.

Dr. Mordrid

Wombat
10th April 2002, 10:55
The SmartFuelCell guys have a couple of things to work against:

1) A 120mL canister will cost $3-$5, IF they get the volume up to drop the price that low.

2) The 25W prototype: 120x160x170mm (5"x6.5"x7") and 2.8kg (5lb). Yeah, sure. Maybe for a field-deployed office, but not for a lug-around laptop.

3) They've said nothing about the cost or longevity of the unit itself. Where does the water go? How long before I have to have it serviced because of carbon build-up?

Combine the above problems together, and a battery-powered laptop with extra batteries (if needed) is likely to be cheaper/more portable/more convenient.

Cobos
10th April 2002, 12:25
Not to mention that many fuel-cells especially those that refine hydrogen within the cell have problems with pollutants in the fuel destroying the cell. So as Wombat says I beleive there will still be time before fuel-cell driven laptops are the standard, they are coming. Hey I work with fuel cell technology in my master thesis, so I have to beleive in a future in the idea :)

Cobos

JF_Aidan_Pryde
10th April 2002, 13:17
NV30 and Parhelia to fuel cell pollutants... talk about off topic. :D

Novdid
10th April 2002, 15:35
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
This may also let us tell our middle eastern "friends" to go p*** up a rope.

I'm afraid oil is used in a lot of other areas that are very important except fuel. Plastics, rubber and even quite a few medicines amongst other things.

Dr Mordrid
10th April 2002, 16:19
Plastics can now be grown as part of several plants foliage, thanks to genetic engineering by Monsanto and Cargill/Dow, at competitive prices to petrochemically based products.

As for other oil based products...ever hear of canola, soy, corn, olive or other veggie based oils? Some like canola (aka: rapeseed) and soy grow like weeds and are also excellent sources of plastics.

When I was a kid we grew over 300 acres of soy a year. Just plant it in April or May, pray for rain and havest in October or November.

Most all of these can be used as substitutes for petrochemicals, and if our arabian friends decide to go on a bender they will also be economically, and psychologically, viable.

Dr. Mordrid

DirtFarmer
10th April 2002, 17:45
Yup, we love to grow Canola up here on the Canadian Prairies. I've been hearing about the possibility of industrial varieties for years and years. Bio-Fuels, Bio-Polymers. Pay me $300US/Tonne and Cargill/Dow/Monsanto/ADM can have all the Canola they want. You probably don't want to estimate the price you'd be paying at the pumps tho.

Add a little of this plastic to the Parhelia and it would be the most environmently friendly of Graphics Adapters. By the time this actually happens it will be around Parhelia XV. ;) That is if there ever will be a Parhelia... we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves:p

Captain Marvel
10th April 2002, 19:13
hey doc what's the Matrox G400 + (classified)
?????:confused: :rolleyes:

Captain Marvel
10th April 2002, 19:26
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
....What (classified) means is between me and the holder of one of my *other* NDA's .....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
disregard!:mad:

Dr Mordrid
10th April 2002, 20:13
Actually I wish I could share what it is, but the NDA is a real ball-buster on this one and it has nothing to do with MGA or Parhelia.

Sorry.

Dr. Mordrid

az
10th April 2002, 20:27
Could you share when the NDA ends?
An estimate on when that'll be?

g'night for tonight, murc - I'm going to bed :) (5:30 am here)

AZ

BryceMan
11th April 2002, 08:25
Notice how carefully Mordrid says "MGA" and not "Matrox." ;)

Peter Aragon
11th April 2002, 09:32
Hmmm, smells like the RT3000, compatible with Perhelia :D

Novdid
11th April 2002, 15:56
RT2500 will surely be compatible with Parhelia too.:p

Mad Maxtrox
11th April 2002, 16:38
What makes you so sure? :p :rolleyes: :eek: :D