Which Card for my purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Card for my purpose?

I was trying to do some research on the Matrox cards and ran across a link to this forum. Since I don't know alot about CPU hardware, I thought I pose the following question to this forum.

I have an sports and event photography business and would like to set up slideshows on site for customers to view their photos (we're all digital). I have an XP1800 w/1gig DDR and a 100 gig HD. Looking for the right setup to show 2 different photo slideshows on 2 monitors on the table and still be able to wotk with images in Photoshop on a workstation monitor. So, I need some help on getting the right setup without conflicts between cards or whatever else could go wrong.

Will a dual Matrox card like the G550 allow for the two monitors and slideshows? Could I keep my current GeForce?? whatever card to run the monitor I will be working on?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

So, you need to be able to run 3 displays?
    If you want to keep your GeForce running the primary display, you could add a PCI G450 to run the other 2 displays. You won't be able to use a G550, as it only comes in AGP form, and your GeForce is using your AGP slot. The problem with this is that the PCI G450s have limited functionality when not run on an Intel system.

Or, you could remove the GeForce, and replace it with a G200 or G450 MMS, which could drive up to 4 displays. The drawback here is that these cards are expensive. They also will not offer the game performance of the Geforce (if you ever play games on the system).
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

So are you saying I'm screwed by running an AMD processor? Or that I'll have to spend big bucks to overcome what I have?

I don't have a problem removing the GeForce as i don't care about games.

Could I run a 550 in the AGP and then something else in another slot?

yes, I want to run 3 displays. 2 monitors running seperate slideshows while still being able to work off the system and a monitor.

What about other manufacturers cards. Is there one made by or called ATI?

I just spoke with a gentleman who is using a Matrox dual head video card in the rgb(?) slot and a pci video card for the main work station monitor. I think he has the 550. Maybe he's running a Pentium. I'd sure like a suggestion on the best thing to do here. What's these expensive cards that have been referred to cost? If that's the only alternative, I may have to do it. I have about 2 weeks to get this system up and running. Thanks!

Comment

You could also do that.
        Get rid of the GeForce, and put in a G550 and a PCI card.
        You will not find another manufacturer whose multi-monitor support is better than Matrox.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

The other Alternative is to get rid of your Geforce and replace it with a G550 (AGP) or a G450 (AGP), and get an other PCI card to drive your work display, ie. Radeon PCI, Geforce2MX PCI (not good).

Edit: Damn!!! Kruzin beat me to it.

Comment

Thanks alot both of you. Any issues here with not having an Intel processor then?

Comment

Not unless the secondary PCI card you choose is a G450 PCI.
              I'd go with a nice cheap G200 PCI or even an old Millennium II, if you can find a used 8 meg model.

-edit-
              Another option you have is to wait a little while, and see what Matrox's next product is going to be. Rumors say an announcement is coming soon(tm), and it could be that this new mystery card will do everything you need...
              Last edited by Kruzin; 5 April 2002, 18:34.

Comment

Thanks again for the info. I don't have the time to wait for a new product. I have two weeks max. I'll try your suggestions.

Comment

If you're going to display photographs, DON'T use the Geforce. The visual quality will lose you plenty of sales.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the advice on the GeForce. Looks like I'm dumping that for a 550 and going with something cheaper in the PCI slot for the workstation monitor. Any other advice you might pass along as far as setup, things to consider, etc... PLMK Thanks. Glad I found this forum!

Comment

What kind of monitors are you planning on using?
                      If you are going to use DVI flat panels for customer displays, get the G550 dual DVI. If you are going to use regular CRT monitors, go for the regular G500 (which will only do one DVI)

Comment

We will use 2 17 or 19" CRT monitors. I assume when you're saying flat panel, you are referring to the LCD type monitors? Way to expensive and too easy to damage for me.

I also plan on running one more slide show off my laptop to another monitor so all told, we'll have 3 slide shows going off 2 computers. Parents willl view the photos, choose the one (or more) they want and then we print on site. We probably will also print thumbnail proof shots just to make sure everyone gets a look rather than waiting their turn for a monitor to view their photos. Eventually, I'd like to run 6 or 8 slideshows at a time. Too bad you can't do a split screen with 2 different slideshows going on each monitor!

Also, you guys are fast at replying! What is it a race or something? Works for me!

Comment

Then go for the regular G550 (I know Kruzin said G500, but it was a typo...he meant G550). Get a G550, a G200/Millenium2/mystique PCI and you will be in business in a big way.

Rags

Comment

HI
                            Matrox G200 MMS Quad video card G2+/QUADP-PL

there are 3 g200 mms on ebay now. these support 4 monitors per video card. make shure you get all the cabling

ebay search: "g200 mms"

this should give you room to grow

luck
                            cal
                            another dawg basking in the sun

iwill xp333-r, xp2500@ 340ddr :need better ram

Comment

Yeah, great cards, but expensive. He can probably do what he needs cheaper (see above suggestions).
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X