X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P4 saga round 4 on emulators.com = Interesting read

I like the following part :

Sleazy Marketing Targeting Stupid People

While I certainly support educating people to the fact that CLOCK SPEED IS NOT EVERYTHING (you just knew that was coming) the marketing tactic used by AMD to number their processors slightly above the true clock speed is misleading. A 1.33 GHz Athlon XP is called the Athlon XP 1500. Makes you believe it is a 1.5 GHz chip, yet it most cases the chip runs slower than AMD's older Athlon Thunderbird 1400.

This sleazy numbering scheme has also allowed AMD to pull another trick that we've all seen them pull over the past 6 months, and that is to use a big number increase to hide a rather small clock speed increase. In October they launched the Athlon XP 1500, 1600, 1700, and 1800 models, followed in November by the 1900, then in January the 2000, and most recently the 2100. That's a lot of chips and a lot of numbers. But look at how they dumb it down to take advantage of most people's poor math skills:

The 1500 is a 1.33 GHz chip. Each subsequent "100" increase in part number corresponds to a 66 or 67 MHz instead in true clock speed. For example, the 1800 runs at 1.53 GHz, and the 2100 runs at 1.73 GHz clock speed.

While 2100/1500 = 1.4, which would imply a 40% increase in speed since October, the actual clock speeds - 1.73/1.33 = 1.3 - only indicate a 30% speed increase from the 1500 part to the 2100 part. In other words, AMD has sneaked in a whole 10% phantom speed increase that isn't there! Add to that the fact that AMD was already shipping the 1400 MHz Athlon already, and this 40% marketed speed increase really translates into just 23%.

Also if you do the math, i.e. 66/1600, each 66 MHz increase in speed from one part to the next is really only about a 4% real increase. 4%, that's it. Looking at AMD's wholesale pricing on their web site, each extra 4% increase in speed translates into a whopping 20% hike in the price. The XP2100 (the 1.73 GHz chip) literally costs $81 more than the XP2000 (the 1.67 GHz chip) costs, and that extra $81 for 4% more speed is a bad tradeoff.

Since I have always disliked the performance rating system this come as no surprise to me.
    What do come as a surprise is that emulators.com was one of the hardest critics of the P4 when it arrived.

Oh well ....
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

That guy keeps amazing me. Sometimes he's full of crap and sometimes he's right about something. If you need a mac emulator do not I repeat do not try his softmac software it just doesn't work.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yes, take Basilisk, this works very well
      And when combined with the JIT CPU emulations it's really flying - at the cost of some compatibility.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Personaly I would think it Great if AMD and Intel only released "new" Cpu's every half year!!!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah, I think we should be going up in multiples of 133MHz now, or at least 100. Going from 2000 to 2100 is 5%, yet going from 60 to 66 is 10%. We need bus speeds to increase

Plus, that guys talk about price vs performance is silly. Everyone knows that almost always, if you increase a (med-high end) CPUs speed by x%, it will result in a greater than x% hike in price.

Take the low-med range P4s - 1.6 and 1.7GHz. A 5.9% clock speed rise, yet the <a href="http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&p=Pentium+4+1%2E+Ghz+box& tid=752&mid=520&ob=price&obd=asc&stab=ref">prices</a> differ by about double that gain. £120 to £141. (Prices from www.dabs.com )

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Something else with his rantings stuck in my head:

He raves about that the "Athlon" got speed increases in 100Mhz intervalls and that the "XP" onlu gets them in 66Mhz increases and tries to indicate that its some evil plot from AMD.....

He seems to have completely missed his mathematics classes

"Athlon" used a base FSB of 100MHz
            ie:
            100*10=1000
            100*11=1100
            100*12=1200
            100*10=1300 (i think you get the picture

While "XP"uses the base FSB of 133 making increments look different:
            133*10=1330
            133*10,5=1396,5
            133*11=1463
            133*11,5=1529,5(i know you get the picture last time

That the "XP"'s have lesser Mhz betveen the "models" commes down to that AMD has to comform to the laws of calculation (1+1 is always 2)!

KeiFront says that his software don't work, and thats not surpricing since he missed this!!!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

LOL nice reading stuff: user reviews about SoftMac 2000 on CNet

"Bad product, Unbelievably bad support"

"Use Basilisk II!!!"
              Basilisk II Basilisk II Basilisk II! It's MUCH better!

"Bad. Bad. Bad."
              Use Basilisk II instead. And don't e-mail support - Mr. Mihocka will call you "stupid" or worse

"Couldn't even get it to load Mac OS!"
              I tried the downloadable new version SoftMac 2000, v.8.03-- couldn't get it to even start the Mac OS. Got no support at all from the author. Pathetic.
              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
              X