Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow R, which one of the newwer Martrox VT works in 98

Hey,

I have a fresh install of 98 and would like to know if someone can tell me which one of the Matrox Video tools works under 98, WITH RECORDING, preferablly one of the newwer ones as it looks nicer..!!!!!!

-Kind regards-

-Kev-

Assuming RainbowRunner-G and not the old RRS....

IMHO the best working arrangement for my G400-TV were the 1.52 video tools (+ Flying Dutchman's YUY2 patch) with the 5.41 display drivers. Looks be damned.

RR-G owners can give you input on how it worked with their systems, but those worked great here.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 April 2002, 18:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I've tried most and nothing seems to work consistently well, however . . .

6.28/1.55 is Matrox's 'final' release. I still have hopes of getting it to work properly in MultiDesk mode for more than one or two boots. But, of course, 6.28 means you gotta reboot every time you want to change modes.

6.28/2.04 beta looks nicer but has same functionality. Stick with the default skin or be prepared to reinstall everything from scratch.

6.82/1.55 or 2.04beta works okay except the drivers don't pick up the overlay for DVDMax which is the whole point of the exercise for me.

6.82/2.10 without recording looks nicest (of course) and I think they stroked the TV-Tuner settings it looks good.

I've heard of people getting 6.82/2.04beta to work right, wish I had that luck. Mostly as soon as I go into MultiDesktop mode my PC-VCR decides it has better things to do.

So I'll just add to the query . . .

Has anybody got the VTs to work with the 6.82 (or 6.72 for that matter) drivers ?

Grey Bear

despite other peoples sigs, I actually *am* a big grey bear

Comment

Dr. Mordrid,

Did you try the 1.55/6.28 combination (and if so, how does it compare) ?

TIA

Pat

OK, so I'm not a big grey bear, what gave it away?

Comment

I tested them since I was on the beta team, but NO...I did not use them in my normal editing setups.

As they say; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1.52 was not broke, worked nicely, was stable and, with the Flying Dutchman YUY2 patch to provide PICVideo and HuffYUV captures in AVI_IO & VirtualDUB, didn't need fixing.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 April 2002, 23:15.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

oh, ok, since (currently) I'm interested in it as an mjpeg vcr for my underpowered P3-667/694Z, hopefully I'll have the issues straightened out before my system or *my* system goes south from constant rebooting.

Grey Bear

the latest - not getting the audio synching problems anymore, but PC-VCR now happily produced a +4MB .avi in the playlist

g400 16MB DH AGP, RR-G
            CuV4x (onboard sound), PIII-667, 576MB, Windows-Me

Comment

and now I have a sound card. $52. And it solved . . . nothing.

Whoops, I lie ; when I installed the VTs *this* time, the recording-audio soloed 'Mic', but this time when I switched it to 'LineIn' it worked. I am just so ****ing thrilled that this was the problem that paying for a soundcard when I already had sound on board cured <--- note sarcasm.

I'm getting sound but no picture when I start PC-VCR. Playing with it (click line then click tv again) gets me the picture.

I tried taping a normal tv show on cable and halfway through the third 2G file got a "Macrovision detected . . ." and it stopped.

This is ****ing ridiculous. Has anybody considered a class-action suit ?

Pat

CuV4x, P3-667, 576MB, g400,RR-G,SBLive5.1
              Win-Me

Comment

Pat

Using that language ain't going to endear you to anyone to get help. I'm no prude, but ...

You heard what the great man said: use 1.52 with 5.41. I've been using that combo for years, keine probleme (at least, not at that level).

Your problem with Macrovision protection is probably a hiccup in your incoming signal. It requires only one missing frame (no signal at all) to simulate MV. You see, MV protection slightly corrupts the image, not that you would normally notice, by messing around with it so that some parts are missing. If you lose video signal, the same parts are automatically missing, and so... I respectfully suggest that, before you blame your hardware, make sure that garbage in is not causing the garbage out.

I'm not saying that RRG/Marvel is perfect, but it's PDG if you understand it and don't expect more than it was designed to give. If you want a perfect system, capable of doing everything without hiccups, be prepared to spend $20k and then some.

And, please, remember that no one here is contributing as a professional: we are all doing this to help others through the same hoops as we've been through years before. Guys like Doc Mordrid, Patrick and many others have been helping us for years, so please reduce the aggressivity and arrogance. I hope that, when you have garnered your little bit of experience, you will then be able to help others. Please!
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Brian,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond. Rest assured that foul language is *not* a normal constituent in my day-to-day conversations and does *not* reflect any animosity towards fellow members.

As much as I appreciate input, DrMordrid's advice seemed specifically to cater to amateur video editing.

Even though I have two small amateur video projects sitting on the back burner, my primary usage of this card is the rather pedestrian TV-on-the-desktop/unattended-VCR, for which I relied on Matrox's reputation for quality as well as my own nothing-but-good experiences with the G400. The MJPEG chip which to quote Matrox sales "is the same as used in our RT series" was the clincher ; since I have a VIA board (a questionable decision but the 815 chipset was still 3 months away at the time), main memory performance is laughable and I need the HW compression.

'PDG' is exactly what I expected.

Pat

g400 16MB DH AGP, RR-G
                  CuV4x, PIII-667, 576MB, SBLive5.1, Windows-Me

PS: Again, let me apologize for my manner ; I am addressing this issue in the TS Forums and I am trying *very* hard not to blow up there, while the moderator tries to decide if I've already RTFM'd or not.

Comment

The cheque is in the mail.

Guys like Doc Mordrid, Patrick and many others have been helping us for years...
                    Thanks Brian, but it seems I've been asking more questions than I've been answering lately!

Comment

Haven't we all, Patrick? (except our omniscient Doc )
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                      X