Fixed Frequency Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed Frequency Monitors

My friend gave me his HP monitor last night.
    Its a big beautiful 21inch monitor.
    its 3 years old.

Its a fixed frequency monitor.
    I've been reading about this today and found out on a few sites that the g400 can work with these out of the box.

can you please advise if I need to do anything special to make this happen.

is it just a matter of plug in the cable and play?

neil

No not exactly... while you do need to ensure it has the proper cable to connect the card, there are software switches that must be envoked in order to sync it

PowerStrip is one such program that'll enable you to do this (sync on green most likely)
    Last edited by Greebe; 4 April 2002, 21:10.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Can you tell us the model number of the HP monitor? I use a fixed frequency monitor as a second screen (and it works great ).
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Fixed frequency monitors only sync up to a single or very narrow range of horizontal and vertical sync signals. Unlike current multiscan monitors that sync up top a wide range of frequencies. The problem typically is getting the monitor / system to boot in low-resolution modes. Fixed frequency monitors usually only sync to the highest frequency possible, thus when you boot in low resolution modes the monitor will stay blank.

One way to get around this problem is to boot the machine using a multiscan monitor. Set the resolution and refresh rates to those supported by the fixed frequency monitor. Plug in the fixed frequency monitor. It will stay blank until the high-resolution drivers kick in. At that point it will display. The other problem is that if anything should go wrong with your system, you will need that multiscan monitor to trouble shoot the problem.

Jim Witkowski
        Chief Hardware Engineer
        Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com
        Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

Comment

HP Monitor

Originally posted by KeiFront
          Can you tell us the model number of the HP monitor? I use a fixed frequency monitor as a second screen (and it works great ).

Hey,

I found out the model number it is 4033A.

can you help with some advice on how to get this working.

its has 5 BNC connectors..

Neil

Comment

We had a sh*tload of those around here. Now we've got p1120's and p1130's, mmmm.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey,

These people http://www.si87.com/MonitorSolutions/hp/ suggested that I buy one of their cables and it will work OK with the g400max.

only problem is, I live in Sydney, Australia and the aussie$ aint doing so good these days. so this cable will cost me about $150 buy the time i use their compulsory air freight etc..

i dont mind spending the money but here is my question.

1. will "any" bnc to hd15 cable do. can i go to the shop around the corner and buy one or does the cable have to be specially made.

2. did the A4033A work with any G400s..?

thanks for your help.
              I will name the monitor after whoever can help me fix my little problem.. (hehe!!) (i'm serious too.. hehe!!)

thanks..

neil

Comment

You should get away cheaper than that. Any HD15 to 5 BNC cable should do. See if you can find this: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=18166 in your area.

Your G400 can handle the different protocol with some easy driver tweaks, you just need the right cable for the job.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just get the HD15 to 5 BNC cable like Wombat suggested this should work without any problem. Afterwards you only need to tweak the drivers a bit and you got yourself a nice 21' monitor.
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Hi

wombat wrote:

..."Your G400 can handle the different protocol with some easy driver tweaks, you just need the right cable for the job."...

I have the same problem as NeilG. I do have the proper cables, I have tried powerstrip. I am sure that I have the correct specs for the monitor

I've tried to search this (and several other) forum for an answer to my problem.

I have at fixed frequency monitor (sony gdm-1961/DEC vrt19-ha)
                    which also needs af gfx card which supports sync on green.
                    my gfx is g400 16 mb.
                    I am running win2k pro.

My question is:
                    can anyone tell me either how to tweak the driver, or if anyone have ever solved this problem I would really like to see the *.inf file if they would like to share it?

since this is probably a rather demanding question, i promise that i'll post this on other forums and sites so you have to bother with this one more time.

best regards
                    jacob
                    (nearly newbie)

Comment

I'm using a Sony GDM 1950. I've retrieved my settings:

Model: GDM-1950
                      Max Resolution: 1280 x 1024
                      Sync Type: Sync on Green
                      H Freq/ V Freq: 63.9khz / 60hz

from the site monitorworld your monitor is also listed on this website.
                      You can also get the settings for your monitor this site

Tweaking the driver:

Go to the montior settings tab, here you can adjust your display modes. If you untick the use simplified monitor controls chechkbox and press the adjust current display mode button you get this screen.

You can see that I've set my horizontal refresh rate to 60kHz and unticked the horizontal and vertical polarity checkboxes and i have set my refresh rate to 75Hz.
                      After some fiddeling around you should be able to get your monitor to work with the help of the two sites.
                      Attached Files

Comment

1. Find out the HORIZONTAL freq for your fixed freq monitor. (mine is about 63-64 KHz, there is ~ +/- 1 KHz margin it can scan)
                        2. Borrow a Multiscan monitor, plug it in etc.
                        3. Get into windows.
                        4. Get into Control Panel>Display Properties>Advanced>Monitor Settings>Adjust a different display mode.
                        5. Adjust the VRef so the HRef matches the spec (ie in my case 63KHz, if the declared resolution is 1280x1024, my guess the VRef is gonna be 60Hz).
                        6. Test it. Click Next & swap the cables (attach the Fixed freq monitor).
                        7. If the pic is garbled and jumping/rolling, wait 15secs or so, and uncheck the Positive sync polarity checkboxes.
                        8. If you get a stable pic but shifted left or right, you`ll have to play with the Fporch, Sync, Bporch etc. It isnt too hard ... But this is unlikely to happen if you are adjusting the specced resolution of the monitor.

BTW you can force your monitor to display NEARLY all resolutions. You`ll just have to play with the VRef/HRef to get HRef into spec. The picture wont be great but you will be able to see at least Here you`ll have to adjust the horizontal Fporch, Sync, Bporch etc.

And another thing, my IBM6091 scans both @ 33KHz and 63KHz. I`m guessing yours should be able to do that too.

And, you can program the G400 using PINS to change the default DOS refresh (60Hz) to whatever fits your monitor so again, you COULD see something at boot ... If you want, i`ll dig up the docs i used to program my G400 ...
                        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Working...
                        X