Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which laptop?

Hi all,

If you were to chose between these two laptops, which would you choose?

The reason I ask is that the Sony one is mine, and I've had it for quite a while, but now I've got the Compaq one too, and have a buyer for one of them (doesn't matter which one), and I can't decide which one to keep.

Sony Vaio PCG-305
    Intel PII-366
    64Mb RAM
    6.4Gb HDD
    4X DVD Drive
    Floppy Drive
    2x Batteries
    13.3" TFT Screen
    Neomagic 2mb graphics (2d only)
    NO TV out

or

Compaq Armada E500
    Intel PIII-500
    64Mb RAM
    6.0Gb HDDD
    24X CD-ROM Drive
    Floppy Drive
    1x Battery
    13.3" TFT Screen
    Ati Rage Mobility 4mb graphics (basic 3d games work - 3dmark score of 600 )
    TV out

Do I go for the speed of the Compaq, or the DVD capability and looks of the Sony?

Also, what are these worth? Both a few years old now.

My first suggestion would be to sell them both and upgrade. Though I guess I would keep the Sony myself. The 3d on the Compaq sucks, there is only 1 battery, 366 isn't that bad, and do you use TV out that often? I have had nothing but trouble from Compaq anyway.

Comment

I'd also go for the Sony!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

which one to keep? which one do you find yourself using most often? Which one has all your data on and so would be less hassle to get rid of? That's how I would decide.

Reckon a fair price would be somewhere in the region of GBP 400. Check at Morgan's website/flyer to see if they have anything comparable at the moment - that should suggest at least a range of prices.

gnep
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I have a very similiar Sony. It's a super-slim series made around the same time as the one you listed. Still works like a dream. Never owned a Compaq, but I can vouch for Sonys.

Comment

I would keep the Compaq and invest a little money to update it. I would get a new HDD (20-30Gig IBM), boost the memory to at least 128 (better 256). If you want the DVD drive, you can buy an external drive (the TV output would be of use then).

But if you want to keep the Sony, you could also consider that kind of upgrade.

Or, sell them both and get a brand new one.

As for the price, I wouldn't give too much money for the Sony something like 400€. The Compaq should be around around 700€. That's what I would be ready to pay for those computers, I can understand you would like to get more...
            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Thanks guys - I also guessed that £400 is about right. What I didn't mention is that the Compaq needs a new screen before I can sell it - as is, it didn't cost me a lot.

The Sony's not upgradeable, CPU wise, and I do have a 128Mb SODIMM to put in whichever one I keep. I'll probably end up with selling the Sony first, then once I've got the Compaq's screen, selling the other and then buying myself a new one (or maybe buying a DVD or CDRW drive for the Compaq off Ebay).

Comment

I had to replace a laptop screen last year. The cheapest way was to go to a local computer dealer who also repairs stuff, and ask if he had any old laptops lying around. Chances are the screen from one of them will fit into yours. A lot of makes use the same components - my AST got a screen from a Texas Instruments machine. And Compaqs are fairly common.

You might have to take a few casings apart to find an appropriate one.

Then the fun bit - bargaining with the dealer - the screen is effectively worthless to him lying on the shelf, but worth up to the full Compaq repair price to you. You should be able to land somewhere between GBP 50 and GBP 100.

I have to say though that I was in luck being in London as I could trawl quite a few shops in Tottenham Court Road.

Have a trawl on the web first though for spare screens.

Laptop Spares is as good a starting point as any, although they seem quite pricey -
                example screen

Good luck!

gnep

edit: Clones UK looks cheaper, with a better range.
                Last edited by GNEP; 5 April 2002, 09:58.
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                X