X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADSL or Broadband???

what is the actual difference???

cheers!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

cable: is a single line that connects all users(in your area).

ADSL:gives a dedicated line to your local exchange(shares with your phone line)

cable:upload speed is closer to the download speed(I think)

ADSL: upload is usually 1/4 of your download speed

cable:will slow down if you have a LOT of user sharing the cable

ADSL: you get your own line..(but it is less reliable)

I think the max cable speed is a lot higher(10Mb) than the max adsl speed(1.5mB)..

in Australia cable is a good 20% cheaper..but is only available in some areas, ADSL is avaliable in a lot more areas..

usually if you can get cable it would usually be better than ADSL, if you can't get cable go for ADSL..

Comment

Max ADSL speed 8192/2048
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

that sounds right guru, pity we can only get 1.5M max here, and even then we pay through nose

Comment

There Is a cheap "lite" version of ADSL that only alows 1,5mb....
          It's cheaper for the phone company
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Well. to answer Paddy´s question.

ADSL means something, it is a technique, it´s defined.

Broadband means nothing, there is no definition. You can define broadband to whatever you like.

If you define broadband to > 5 mbit/sec. the difference is obvious, since ADSL can´t supply that speed.

If you define broadband to > 0,5 mbit/sec, ADSL is broadband.
            In Sweden, this is the definition phonecompanies use.

rubank

Comment

And the "Official" value that the goverment set was 2mbit.....
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

But rubank, ADSL can supply >5mb/s

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  cable:upload speed is closer to the download speed(I think)
                  Actually, cable around my parts is 1.5mb down and 128kb up.

amish
                  Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Cable is shared among a group... this pipe's bandwidth is fixed and commonly over sold. Thus as member usage increases your effective bandwidth goes down... typically bad after school (2:30-5:00pm) and in the evening (7-11pm)/weekends

DSL on the other hand is a dedicated line and bandwidth... not affected by such problems

1.5mbps limit common in the US most likely has todo with the FCC regulations on DSL carrier power levels... as to not cause interference with other services... many types of communication cables can be routed together and are alot of times.

If cable is doing this then they are able to support at least 70% more customers.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My Videotron cable is usually 2.7 Mbps download, 120 Kbps upload. Not very good when playing UT.
                      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                      AMD Athlon 64 3200
                      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                      WD 160 GB HDD
                      2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
                      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
                      Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Here in the UK, Telewest (cable provider) has said that it's going to play 'full-contact broadband' with BT (ADSL provider). In response to BT's price drop of ADSL, Telewest have announced a FREE 1MB upgrade to all current users of their 512/128 service later in the year!!

Comment

I love technology rich Japan. If I lived in a new appartment in tokyo I'd have 100Mbs fibre. but as I live in an old appartment I just have to make do with 8Mb down and 1Mb up dsl

Mind you I saw an ad the other day for 30Mb cable

Dan
                          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I wonder how much of that is the "technology rich" and how much is the "insanely dense population" factor. Networking technology costs rise as distance increases, and Japan has a lot of customers/mile.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

umm could be that population density thing
                              My area is fairly quiet only 9000 per square KM or so

Dan
                              Juu nin to iro

Comment

Working...
                              X