X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 random freezes on Asus mobo

Dear Matrox users,

Heeeeeeelp!!!

I have been unable to fix this problem despite help from the nice tech people at Matrox, so I am about to have a new system built, and I was wonderiong if anyone can recommend a mother board.

The history of the problem is listed below (and at: http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/007693.html )

I am experiencing some very serious random freezes and lock ups on my system (CUA266 ASUS pentium III described below).
    The system will run for anything from two minutes to several hours, then freeze completely. It does not seem to matter what application I am useing (Corel 9, Rhino, Photoshop 5.5, Office apps etc)
    It does seem to be strangely heat related, if the ambient room temperature goes over 23deg C the lock ups become more frequent. If the temperature goes over 27 deg C the freezes turn into system restarts (just like pressing the restart button). I have taken the side off the case and directed a desk fan at it, which seems to help (a little). The CPU and the graphics chip are warm to touch - not hot.

Things I have done before posting to this forum:
    # New MB from ASUS supplier, latest BIOS Rev1002 (no change)
    # Replaced all RAM (no change)
    # New power supply 350W (no change)
    # New cooling fans (no change)
    # Uninstalled matrox drivers (using Matrox uninstall utility) and replaced with every version avail. (no change)
    # Knocked the AGP to x1 in the BIOS and with Matrox Tweak util (very slight improvement - only freezed/restarted 15 times a day :-(
    # New AGP drivers from mobo manufacturer (no change)
    # Installed a generic brand NVidia GeForce 256 card with 32mb RAM. I have hammered the hell out of it and it will not fall over (horrible display quality though - not as nice as the G450). I put the G450 back in and managed to get 15 minutes of work before it locked up again..... and again... and again. Hardly surprisingly, I am back on the Nvidia card.

As you can imagine, my sanity is starting to go. I would greatly appreciate any help you can come up with.

System description:

Asus CUA266 Pentium III 1.0GHz 512 Mb ram
    Win98SE
    Matrox G450:
    BIOS 1.6 b29
    Powerdesk 6.82.013

IRQs
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)