Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT2500 export to VHS problem

Well
    I hope someone familiar with Matrox RT2500 and Adobe Premiere 6.0 can help. After 7 months of trolling forums and newsgroups, I've finally joined the ranks of the NLE world.
    I am very new to this, but I didn't think using Premiere 6 and the RT2500 would convince myself of being an idiot. I managed to edit tapes together into a fairly, nice, seamless piece.. and now I want to send it to VHS. This will be analog to analog, no device control. I've read every direction in the Adobe user guide, and the Adobe P6 Bible, but all I get is either:
    1. black snow, no sound
    2. just black, no sound.
    When I start to rewind, I sometimes catch a glimpse of a frame or to, but that's it.
    I'm recording to an Hitachi VT-FX665A, which is Sam's Club's latest bargain 6 head VCR. I used this VCR to capture video to card, so I know playback works OK.
    Instructions for the Hitachi were simple, 3 lines out of breakout box, three lines into VCR.
    Video was captured using the Matrox analog setting. I've checked some other settings, but not being wise on the subject, I'm not sure if all is correct. Directions for export to video were fuzzy for me. ie, I did make sure the work area was inclusive to the video. One set of directions says press "Enter" to preview, then goes on to list other instructions.. so..why do you preview?.. do you have to wait an hour to finish preview, then go on to next instructions? Well I tried that, with same results. Anyway. I followed all the different instructions, with same disaterous results.
    So am I looking at a bogus setting that I've made in Premiere?
    I havn't tried recording off of TV to check VCR, but I did try using a different VCR, but got the same results. I still have that nifty CDROM tutorial to look through.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    steve
    System was custom built by Safe Harbor Computers, to include Matrox installations.
    Matrox Tools seems to be the latest version, from what I've read.
    1 INTI5600013 P4 1.9GHz/256K 478-pin CPU Boxed
    1 INTI5450004 FCPGA 850 ATX 478-pin 400MHz FSB
    W/LAN & Audio
    RDRAM PC800 1 GB
    1 MTXI5300016 Millennium G550
    1 SEAI5140001 ST380021A Barracuda 80GB ATA100 7200rpm System
    2 SEAI5140002 ST340016A Barracuda 40GB ATA100 7200rpm Video
    1 ACRI5400003 Internal 24X/10X/40X ATAPI CDRW
    1 SAHI5130001 3.5" floppy drive
    1 ANTI5120001 File SVR ATX Case 400W
    1 MSOI5220001 Intellimouse 1.2 PS/2 Mouse
    1 MLIN5800001 Speakers: CA15 15Watt with AC Adapter
    1 MSOI0900001 Windows 2000 Professional CD OEM
    1 POSI5750001 EZ Keyboard Adobe Premiere

Presuming you set up Premiere properly (Matrox device control etc.) and with the editing format the same as the capture format (Matrox DV for DV files, Matrox MPEG-2 for MPEG-2 files etc) you should get instant playback when pressing the SPACE bar.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Thanks for the repy
      I guess I was unclear. The video plays well in Premiere. When I export to video, it plays well on the monitor. I can watch it just fine. I just can't export it to tape.

Comment

So let me get this straight... You want to export to VHS right?

If so, here's what you do...

1-Connect the Svideo or Composite to the VCR first then to NTSC monitor (or even a TV set)
        2-set the VCR to except the input from line 1 or line 2 depending on where you connected it to.
        3-Open project
        4-start recording on VCR
        5-press space bar to start playback from timeline.

Done.
        There is no other way to export to tape, those days are over, all you do now is simply playback from timeline after pressing record on the VCR

Comment

Hmmm
          I must be doing something Bass-Ackwards....
          Here's what I have set up.
          1. VCR to "line in" on the Break out box to capture video...that works just works fine.
          2. Audio cables from "line out" of Break out box to TEAC Multimedia, to hear sound while I'm editing.
          3. To export to VHS tape: Unplug the 2 audio cables from the Break out box "line out", and replace with 3 cable (1 video, 2 audio) from break out box to VCR "line in" (L1 for back or L2 for front "IN" slots).
          4. Is my problem that I'm using the Break out box? I didn't follow using a monitor plugged in, etc.
          steve

Comment

temp resolved

I skipped the 'export to video' and tried to tape by just playing the .avi. Didn't work on the new Hitachi VCR, or a small TV, but I knew something was coming out of the break out box, because it works on the sound amp. Finally, I tried another VCR, one I was going to throw out, because the display was broken, and its seen better days... well, that one worked fine, and, as I an typing, my tape is being recoreded. Looks like the old 'klunker' will hang around after all.
            Thanks for the help.
            steve

Comment

I know this might sound silly, but worth checking.

On the VHS recorder, have you got it set to selector input for video leads. IE, if you were to tape TV you might want to tape TV channel 3, well 3 would be selected on the front of the video. The number 3 would display in the video readout.

To record video lead signals you need to have that 3, set to L1 or L2 or S1 or AUX or whatever> Cycle through the numbers down to zero and you might see the display read L1 Aux or something similar. Thats what you need to have set before you press record.

I know a lot of people who didnt know this ;-)

All the best

Comment

Yes, I checked. L1 is for the rear inputs, and L2 is for the front ones. Can't find anything different in the manual either. Maybe that's why Sam's Club was selling them so cheap!
                Thanks
                steve

Comment

Working...
                X