Samba and dhcp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samba and dhcp

Is there anyway to get this working via dhcp. The mandrake wizards seem determined you've got to use a fixed ip.
    Using fixed ip's I've got printing working, the web works, the linux machine appears in the network neighbourhood I can see the shared drives on my win2k machine but the folders are empty.
    I've got to check the smb.conf file but I'm knackered now so I can't be bothered at the moment.
    I'm quite happy to use fixed ip's but I was just wondering if dynamic is possible?
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

It should be possible

you may have problems specifiing the interfaces command in samba though. You may be able to omit this option though, and have samba start on all the computers avaliable IP's (loopback and eth0)

Otherwise it should just work.
    80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Using dhcp with the wizards for Samba seems a no go. The wizards presume you're not on a network connected to the internet which I am of course. Mandrake need to think about this. It says that the settings can be changed but you've got to asccept the default settings if you change them it says the settings are wrong.
      The only problems I've got is that when I try to browse the network I get unable to resolve hostname from host or something to that effect and when I enter smb://kasper I can see the win2k shares but the folders are empty I.E zero directories zero folders which is cobblers.
      I'll have a look at the samba.conf file and see if any of the settings haven't been set. Anything else I need to look at.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Okay the error I get when using Konqueror to browse the local network is could not connect to host local host.
        I've attached the samba.conf file. can anyone see anything wrong with it.
        Attached Files
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I require Samba to run as a client. Yes I do have both running as it seems to want both and I've been told I need both to get it running.
          I'll look for the share later today at work now.
          Ksamba doesn't work as won't compile as the c compiler is missing it reckons. I'll have a look on the cd's too see if it there.
          I've installed webmin but this won't let me login for some reason although it identfies the host properly.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Huh this is getting my goat.
            I cannot ping the other machines on the network by there hostname only by there ip address. This probably explains why I got the host name problem as well. Any ideas anyone?
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

can you please post the contents of your complete smb.conf file in here? It might be easier to give some comments on it if so

btw. make sure you set interfaces = ethX in stead of an IP/subnet mask range, where ethX is the interface of your local network vs. the one that's connected to the internet. This is especially usefull when your local network interface uses DHCP, as it will be bound to the interface even if the IP changes of it.

Comment

Dzeus I've already attached it. I can't post it directly as it's already to long. Okay theres bits I can probably chop out but not until i get the darn thing working. At the moment I'm sticking to fixed ip's. I'll have to note down what I put in for the samba useless wizards. That will mean running it again which will over right the old settings so I'll have to backup the present samba file.
                I've cured the ping problem by placing the correct entries in the lmhost file and the host file. So I can now ping by ip address and by host name on the local network.

Am I right about that the smb guest etc is for access from NT to the linux machine if so lets leave this to last. I'm more concerned about access to the shares on the NT machine at present.

So the problem at the moment is if I use Konquer and click on the local network I get the host error as prevously posted. If I just type in smb://jon I can see the NT shared drives and folders but if I click on them the folders are empty. I'm not prompted for a password. The passwords for both machines are the same.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Make sure you have settings correct

Originally posted by The PIT
                  Dzeus I've already attached it. I can't post it directly as it's already to long. Okay theres bits I can probably chop out but not until i get the darn thing working. At the moment I'm sticking to fixed ip's. I'll have to note down what I put in for the samba useless wizards. That will mean running it again which will over right the old settings so I'll have to backup the present samba file.
                  I've cured the ping problem by placing the correct entries in the lmhost file and the host file. So I can now ping by ip address and by host name on the local network.

Am I right about that the smb guest etc is for access from NT to the linux machine if so lets leave this to last. I'm more concerned about access to the shares on the NT machine at present.

So the problem at the moment is if I use Konquer and click on the local network I get the host error as prevously posted. If I just type in smb://jon I can see the NT shared drives and folders but if I click on them the folders are empty. I'm not prompted for a password. The passwords for both machines are the same.
                  1) If your hosts are stored on a DNS server, make sure your /etc/resolve.conf contains

nameserver <ip of dns server>
                  search <default network>

The default network is the network that the dns resolver will automaticly search for if a fully qualified name isn't supplied, eg

ping mail

would become

ping mail.somenet.net

where somenet.net was specified as the default network

2) if your hosts are not in DNS somewhere, just add them to /etc/hosts, one per line, eg

192.168.0.2 darkstar.example.net darkstar

This is a line from my hosts file, the first item is the IP address, the second is the FULL host name, third field is the short host name.

This should solve your DNS problems.
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Rugger I had a reply for you but the modem hung up then the browser had lost the copy I made then i relalised I had then used the wrong dialup connection so there wouldn't be any connection so for now I've given up. Probably come back to you on sunday with he hosts etc.
                    Present state of affairs.
                    Can access files form my NT machine. Can ping via host name or by ip address from the lunix machine still can print but no longer can see the NT shares. xsmbrowser reckoms theres no shares available and that there isn't a network!!! It can see the NT machine though ???
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Okay rugger some info for you.

The hosts file looks like this.

127.0.0.1 Localhost localhost.local
                      192.168.0.1 jon
                      192.168.0.5 jon7.kasper.net

Resolv.conf looks like
                      search Kasper.net
                      namerserver 213.1.119.100
                      nameserver 213.1.119.99

Take those out the internet stops working.

lmhost
                      localhost jon7.kasper.net
                      jon jon

The machine cannot see any shares at all at present for some reason.
                      I can print and browse the internet though
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm even more puzzled I've managed to log onto my NT machine by the shell prompt smbclient and list the shares there but I can't browse via xsmbrowser or via konquer.
                        The only things that haven't worked is the command nmblookup _U 127.0.0.1 _SAMBA_ which is supposed to work according to the trouble shooting guide I've downloaded from www.samba.org but this maybe a mistake. nmblookup on 127.0.0.1 jon7 worked fine. The other one was nbtstat command from win2k which failed to list jon7 although it appears in the network neighbourhood and is accessable. Name resoultion works fine so what the heck I'm missing.
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                        X