help help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help help!!

new user here, and coming from prev cards like ati/nvidia, there's always been an "overlay" tab in the video properties..now using the whql winxp drivers, I can't find anything like this?? all my videos are so freaking dark!! am I missing out something? or is my G400 missing something?

please help guys..

Sorry, I don't think there is a possibility to adjust the gamma of video playback or 3D - the Powerdesk color calibration only applies to 2D. Then again, I've been using at least 10 different G400s on different monitors and have had no problems with too dark video? If I recall right, someone on the Matrox forums suggested that flashing the card with the latest BIOS could help. Other than that, I think you're stuck with the monitor & playback proggy controls.
    BTW What monitor are you using? Are the videos too dark on your primary or secondary monitor? Or are you using a TV for output?

Comment

this is as I feared

no, using it on a primary monitor. on a Sony G500. I like my desktop less glaring so I guess my brightness it tuned relatively low. but cos of that all my videos end up too dark. argh. any fixes? any workarounds? registry hacks?

Comment

This is probably not very successful, but the following comes to mind:
        If the adjustments on your monitor are good enough, you could of course try to use the Powerdesk gamma adjustment to set your desktop to dark, then turn the brightness up on your monitor up to compensate. I would imagine that this way the videos should look brighter, but the desktop will probably have too much contrast or something like that

Comment

I think you may to have to use Powerstrip to adjust the gamma. It would be nice if Matrox did offer the option to adjust the gamma in other fields.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Ablaze: Since you have stated that you are using whql Win XP drivers, I assume you are using Win XP! If you are using Windows Media player in Win XP, for your videos, then you can adjust the brightness, contrast etc from within it, without affecting your desktop settings. I guess these are WMP's own overlay controls. Hope this helps!
            Cheers
            Ovi
            Last edited by Ovi; 2 April 2002, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Ovi
              Ablaze: Since you have stated that you are using whql Win XP drivers, I assume you are using Win XP! If you are using Windows Media player in Win XP, for your videos, then you can adjust the brightness, contrast etc from within it, without affecting your desktop settings. I guess these are WMP's own overlay controls. Hope this helps!
              Cheers
              Ovi
              there are?? i was looking all over the place for it!! where?? mind if you point me to it?

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                I think you may to have to use Powerstrip to adjust the gamma. It would be nice if Matrox did offer the option to adjust the gamma in other fields.
                the matrox properties allows gamma adjustments too .. its just not what I need. I need gamma adjustments for the VIDEO OVERLAY too..I don't want the gamma in my desktop to be adjusted too..

Comment

see with nvidia

a convenient tab to adjust video overlay brightness, contrast etc etc..how come there isn't a corresponding tab with my new G400??

Comment

overlay controls is a nice idea, you can suggest it over here:

if the matrox driver-team is as good as i think they are, then they will appreciate it.
                    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

ok. posted.

Comment

wow. this is ridiculous. see what shawn (the mod) posted

We do not have any overlay controls. The only way you will be able to adjust the brightness is by using the controls in the color tab, but that will affect the desktop only and not the video clip.
                        thats it?? hey I don't want to say this: but WTF ARE THE PEOPLE AT MATROX DOING????!!! isn't this an important feature to implement in the drivers!!?? WTF!!!!!

Comment

Messing with overlay controls is something you want applications to do rather than drivers.

Try WinDVD or Sasami2k for example.

Comment

And chill out. Man.

I love the "I don't want to say this" preface. Sure you did.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                              Messing with overlay controls is something you want applications to do rather than drivers.

Try WinDVD or Sasami2k for example.
                              No, I don't think so. Every display device has their "own gamma" (e.g. my TFT is very different from my 22" CRT) and it's really much more convenient to set the overlay gamma once than having to do it with every player you probably want to use. Not to speak about overlay-using apps that lack this feature (or have it badly implemented like WinDVD). Or games that use Overlays.

Why have a gamma control for the desktop, but not for the overlay?? There IS a reason that every major competitor has this.
                              This is how it looks @ATI:
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X