Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those with Promise Fasttrack controllers . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those with Promise Fasttrack controllers . . .

I want to use a Promise Fasttrack Raid card in a server that I am going to be building from scratch. I want the boot drive(s) to be mirrored and then have another drive of a higher letter (In other words not on motherboard's controllers). Is this possible? If so, how would the drives be connected? Both mirrors on primary or one on each channel, etc . . . ?

You can tell by my SIg that I sometimes go a little crazy.

Helloooo out there.

Jeesh. People hardly ever respond to my posts.

I found out you can stripe on a single channel due to a picture of the inside of an Alienware computer. Anyone know about mirroring on a single channel on an add-on controller?

Comment

do you mean RAID 0+1.

two drives striped, and another two drives mirroring?
      or mirrot drive c: only and another drive single drive for D:?
      yeah... you could do either

Comment

On Fasttrak 100, TX2 etc. cards, basically those with master/slave IDE headers, one array should consist of both masters and the other of both slaves. Do NOT put both members of a single array on the same channel.

However, if you use the Fasttrak TX4 it has four master channels so it doesn't matter which drive is where. With it you can even change what header a given drive is on without affecting the array(s).

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
          do you mean RAID 0+1.

two drives striped, and another two drives mirroring?
          or mirrot drive c: only and another drive single drive for D:?
          yeah... you could do either
          Two mirroring with another as a single. In any case,

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          On Fasttrak 100, TX2 etc. cards, basically those with master/slave IDE headers, one array should consist of both masters and the other of both slaves. Do NOT put both members of a single array on the same channel.

However, if you use the Fasttrak TX4 it has four master channels so it doesn't matter which drive is where. With it you can even change what header a given drive is on without affecting the array(s).

Dr. Mordrid
          I'll probably go with one of these TX4 variants. Having four Master channels just sound better. Thanks M&Dr. M.

Comment

Working...
          X