Installing Mandrake 8.2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Mandrake 8.2!

Im in the middle of the file transfere part!

If the whole distro keeps even half of the quality of the installer......

It will be better than Windows any day

Will post folow ups on the matter...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I am impresed!

The install worked flawles and in Swedish! (I always shose localised versions if awailable )

It realises that its a laptop!
    Finds my USB intelimouse from the first installer welcome msg!
    Finds gfx, nic, irda, sound etc etc...
    Don't find the internal modem, (but internal modems are a pain in the rear on Windows also )
    Net conection through my home network is as easy as clicking on "Next" butons....

For a person who are not a 3d games fanatic it seems ti be a great alternative to windows.....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid

For a person who are not a 3d games fanatic it seems ti be a great alternative to windows.....
      And even those can be helped a lot with Wine - really makes a lot of stuff running.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

It may not find the modem. It's probably one of those damn winmodems, and you can't run it without the software that is only in the windows drivers (and copyright protected to make it useless for the rest of us).

How did the power-saving stuff install?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, the powersaving was available in KDE's settings center and It has a "tray icon" that works just the same as the windows one....

Comment

Linux is great when it works when it doesn't it's very frustrating.
            I've got Mandrake 8.2 which i slap on probably this weekend. Hopefully I'll get samba to work properly I couldn't get to under 8.1 despite many helpful suggestions.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In my opinion all OS's that doesn't work, are a pain in "da arse"!!!

Comment

Yes but I can normally sort out windoze without having to drop down to the command line and issue strange commands and edit files that seem scattered all over the place.
                The best one I had was with redhat when the hard drive got corrupted helpful it said run this command, can't remember which, I did that and came back okay which option do you want type man for help. I typed man for help and got told that the help file was up the spout and run the previous command to sort it out.
                I just re-installed Redhat.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Do you need to d/load all 3 ISOs?
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I belive so!

It did ask and transfered from all three!

Wait. a sec.

There was a choise of having two or three......

Comment

The third is probably an apps disc. Stuff you don't "need" but will probably end up wanting to install.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

But it just can't run office. Even that new "uber program" doesn't really work - it's more of a media trick than a real piece of code.

And ... err ... nevermind 3D games, I can fire up half a dozen of the latest and greatest that Wine will just shit a brick over.

Sorry, guys. It might be spag-tacular, but it ain't Windows. Still.

- Gurm
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, that was probably THE worst reply I have ever read from you.....

That you can't install MS office on Linux Is NOT a valid reason not to use it....

Sorry, guys. It might be spag-tacular, but it ain't Windows. Still.
                          If it was there would be no reason to call it linux and MS would probably sue...

Comment

can't run office, I don't think so..

check out this..

windows emulation is getting very good....

edit to add...people are installing office on linux!!!!
                            Last edited by Marshmallowman; 1 April 2002, 21:33.

Comment

Marshmallowman,

AFAIK that program... is an April Fool's joke. Look at the date of the postings...

- Gurm
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X