Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimda virus

Hi all,
    I've recently received so many virus warnings like the picture below that sometimes I had to click OK about more than 50 times to be able to close them all !!!!

So I've tried to scan my whole HDDs several times but Norton hasnever reported any virus after scanning. But this warning keeps poping up occasionally and it's very annoying... I'm not sure if I've been severely infected by that popular Nimda virus or not.
    Someone here has any suggestions for my problem?
    I'm using Windows XP pro with NAV 2002. No firewall is enabled.
    As I'm writing this posts, more warnings are coming up and I've still not able to close them all yet !!!!
    SuRGV
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

You could turn off script blocking (which is what is likely causing this window to pop up).

But the reason you can't find the virus is that... upon being unable to repair the file, Norton deletes it.

If you change your options so that it asks you what to do instead of dealing with it automatically, it would just bug you even MORE.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I ran into this problem on a computer network. The virus scanner only picked up the end result of Nimda, It would clean the infected files but not get rid of the cause.

Its been a while since I did that, but it could be the problem that you are running into

Look up the different versions of the Nimda Virus at Symantec

Check and read each one and see if you can find any EXE or DLL file that they mention the virus's distribute.

This could be the cause of your problem.
      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

hmm, have you got system restore enabled?
        the virus may be lurking in the restore folder & norton can't get to it for fixing!

Comment

Gurm,
          When I was "script blocking" in Norton's Options, I had no idea what the hell it really means so I just left it enabled. But from what you said, I will just leave it on.
          cbman,
          I checked the website but there is no link for W32.Nimda.enc. I remember when the pop-ups came up, I could click the link to get info about the virus. I will try to find its root next time they come up. Hopefully I won't have a chance to do that !!
          ayoub_ibrahim,
          I disabled "System Restore" since I think my system is stable enough to ignore it.
          Thanks guys for great info.
          SuRGV
          MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
          AMD Athlon 64 3200
          1024 MB PC3200 RAM
          WD 160 GB HDD
          2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
          ATI 9500 64 Videocard
          Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
          Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
          Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

You might find this link interesting:

Symantec security research centers around the world provide unparalleled analysis of and protection from IT security threats that include malware, security risks, vulnerabilities, and spam.
            It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
            Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Working...
            X