Gaming machine video card advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming machine video card advice

I'm building a new system for a good friend and he is going to use it almost exclusively for gaming and photoshop. I'm limited to a $700 for the system.

Now the thing is is that he wants good image quality but have it still be fast. At the moment I'm looking at a Radeon 7500 but the Ti200 beat the tar out of it in the reviews I've seen. All nvidia cards are not created equal I know so which companies make Ti200s with good Ramdacs, and is their image quality on the same level as the Radeon? I know it won't be as good as a matrox card but he wants to game.

Thanks everone in advance for your help
    Last edited by Claymonkey; 26 March 2002, 15:02.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Search the forums. We've talked about this a lot. The Gainward GF3 Ti200 does quite nicely, as does the Visiontek. But, we covered all this in depth a month or two ago.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      Search the forums. We've talked about this a lot. The Gainward GF3 Ti200 does quite nicely, as does the Visiontek. But, we covered all this in depth a month or two ago.

Sorry I'll look through the posts.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Don't get a Ti200, at this point it's just a waste. Radeon 8500s are about $150 USD now. I would suggest one of those. The Radeon 8500 is superior to any Ti200 (unless Ti200 is overclocked, I guess.). But make sure to get an original ATi, not one made by another company.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
          Don't get a Ti200, at this point it's just a waste. Radeon 8500s are about $150 USD now. I would suggest one of those. The Radeon 8500 is superior to any Ti200 (unless Ti200 is overclocked, I guess.). But make sure to get an original ATi, not one made by another company.
          I actually came to the same conclusion after looking some more.

However I'm still worried about the driver issues. I've heard that they have improved them a bit, but does anyone have first hand experience? I want this to get to him and just work and not have issues (not that I won't play with it extensively before I give it to him he he!)

Comment

yes there are driver problems for some people(me included),(winXP)

if the ATI drivers cause problems..

try the omega drivers from www.omegacorner.com they are very good...

Sad that a big company can't produce more reliable drivers than some guy who does it for fun,Omega is cool

as to visual quality, geforce 3 ti200..yuk.
            8500 has MUCH better contrast,sharpness and colour saturation.

Comment

If you could I'd wait a bit. This Matrox stuff isn't foobar.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I thought it was Fubar. Anyway, I decided that I couldn't wait until the Parhelia would be released and even if I could, I couldnt afford it, so I went with a Radeon 8500. It should be arriving tomorrow, and I only paid $160 inlcuding overnight delivery. Thats a helluva deal, if you ask me.
                P=I^2*R
                Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Ti200 (unless Ti200 is overclocked, I guess.).
                  Well, mine's running faster than a Ti500. Pretty standard for the Gainwards.

as to visual quality, geforce 3 ti200..yuk.
                  8500 has MUCH better contrast,sharpness and colour saturation.
                  You must be looking at the wrong card. The difference between my MAX and my Ti200? Text is slightly fuzzy around the edges if I get about 8" from my monitor.

ATi still has plenty of driver problems, and the "quack3" bit has put them lower on my ethical scale than nVidia.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

FUBAR was originally an acronym in the US Army: F***ed Up Beyond All Repair

Later it found life in the world of computers;

FUBAR = Failed UniBus Address Register error in VAX systems.

FOOBAR = contraction of XEROX PARC/hacker-speak for a pair of metasyntactic variables: FOO and BAR. Other members of the family are ACK, BAZ, BLARGE, WIBBLE, FUM, QUX etc.

ex: "Suppose we have two functions: FOO and BAR. FOO calls BAR....".

While related in source they are not used interchangeably.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 March 2002, 22:27.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I stand corrected (and at least more informed!)
                      P=I^2*R
                      Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        If you could I'd wait a bit. This Matrox stuff isn't foobar.

Dr. Mordrid
                        I'm waiting for me but since the talk around here is that the new cards will be pricey and I have to build his system for around $700 I can't justify it.

Comment

Thanks Marshmallowman that site looks pretty useful. To bad about his advertising banner problems

Comment

<sarcasm>
                            Hey, if you are REALLY concerned about price, I have a great performing card from Trident, the TGUI9660. It works great, and has a wopping 4 megs of memory onboard! I can sell it to you for 10 bucks! You pay shipping!
                            </sarcasm>

I thought about waiting for the Parhelia to come out, but being a college student, one does not find money easily to buy the latest and greatest (unless you fall into the credit trap). The Radeon 8500 was a good buy that is only getting better, especially since I need to watch money flow.

However, if one of the kind souls at MURC decide to pitch in and get me a brand spanking new Parhelia for my birthday or something...
                            P=I^2*R

Comment

Originally posted by PowerHungry
                              <sarcasm>
                              Hey, if you are REALLY concerned about price, I have a great performing card from Trident, the TGUI9660. It works great, and has a wopping 4 megs of memory onboard! I can sell it to you for 10 bucks! You pay shipping!
                              </sarcasm>

I thought about waiting for the Parhelia to come out, but being a college student, one does not find money easily to buy the latest and greatest (unless you fall into the credit trap). The Radeon 8500 was a good buy that is only getting better, especially since I need to watch money flow.

However, if one of the kind souls at MURC decide to pitch in and get me a brand spanking new Parhelia for my birthday or something...
                              Tempting....but no. I think I'll keep the $10, but if you want I have a bunch of old 10baseT cards I could let go for a song

Comment

Working...
                              X