Win2K Server Password Problem (maybe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K Server Password Problem (maybe)

I might be buying an HP Server at an auction tomorrow, which has Win2k Server preinstalled and configured. However, I'd ideally like to keep the current settings, but was advised to format and reinstall due to the password.

I have the name of the previous admin, so I was trying to locate him as all the staff have left, but can a Win2k Server be restored to bypass the Admin password problem?

TIA, P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

If you can get access to the sam database on the computer you can retrieve the password. There are also some other ways. But I think reinstalling is a good option nothing beats a clean OS.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Yeah, it's just the thought of trying to find all the stuff I'd need to reinstall. I didn't have time to check the SAM file, but I'll try tomorrow morning before the auction.

The server is of the LC2000 variety, and I expected it to be low-end...hehe

The machine was running the company website afaik, and has 3x18GB SCSI, 1GHz (I think, min 866 anyway) and 4 NICs

Yummy, but noisy! I'm also trying to get a rack with hubs/switches, and stick 3x3U machines I've got here in that for G@H lovin'

P.

Edit: I'm sure there'll probably be someone with an HP LC2000 in their office or something, so could anyone tell me what I'd need besides a Win2K Server CD? I have AS, though it's not really mine. And I wonder if it's DualCPU, mmm, that'd be nicer Must check that too!
      Last edited by Pace; 26 March 2002, 15:27.
      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

ahem.......

try these:
        system, logon, file, windows, user, screen, scr, password, nt, exe, administrator, account

or:

happy hacking

-pickle
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Which undo's Windoze security very rapidly. Much better to punish the careless people by making them wait for a clean install.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well, I've failed to acquire the server...but the Win2K Server, Active Directory/DC, WebServer (www.farmor.co.uk I'd thought) eventually gave in to my password power!

I'd created a new Admin account just in case, but raking through some boxes I came across the "admin sheet", which covered the IP range (192.168.7.x ), and the admin password. Ooh! Wouldn't you like to know? It was... "administrator" ...great, isn't it?

I was bidding to £500, but it went for £1000. Was worth £2500, but I'd never get £1000 worth of use out of it!

But I'd really like a server, really really

P.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
            X