Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ligos GoMotion 6 announced....

FWIW;

Includes GoMotion Pro for 4:2:2 MPEG-2, MPEG-4 and Sony's IMX format.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Hi Doc,

just noticed you got a new rig

How's the ECS mainboard holding up? If it can handle the videoediting work you're throwing at it, it's got to be good.

Did you have trouble with the DDR memory? The early reviews I read on this board said it was very picky on what DDR memory you plugged in. With some memory it would hang after a few hours on heavy work. What brand modules did you use?

Neko

Comment

GoMotion.Pro is the industry's most flexible, scalable software codec that delivers real-time, broadcast quality video on Pentium 4-based PCs, eliminating the need for compression hardware. . Provided as a DirectShow-based SDK, GoMotion.Pro is targeted at developers of broadcast, post-production, video server, and video archive applications. Ligos has enhanced their unique approach to motion estimation to provide real-time MPEG-2 4:2:2P@ML at quality levels that exceed that of Digital-S, DVCPRO-50 and many IC MPEG-2 encoders (as verified by the industry standard for objective picture quality testing, the Tektronix PQA 200, and measured using Sarnoff's JND algorithm).
      From here

What about AMD or PIII's????
      WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

The new realtime codecs coming out will need either P4's (or the upcoming Celeron based on the old P4 core) or AthlonXP's.

This is because the P4/new Celeron and AthlonXP have certain SSE2 math features needed to perform the fast processing required to maintain high quality.

As for the ECS mainboard, it's working out better than I expected. It's fast, stable (so far) and was VERY cheap at $70 including onboard audio, LAN etc. It is, however, a temporary setup in the main system and will move on to one of the other boxes in the lab when the *real* new hardware arrives.

This box will be getting a dualie rig. The new system will look like this;

Tyan S2466 Tiger MPX dual CPU m/b (http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx.html)
        AthlonXP 2000+ or 2100+ CPU's, depending on availability
        1000-2000 megs of DDR RAM
        RAID5 (striped array with parity for data redundency)
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz (natch!!)
        Antec TruePower 480 or 550 watt P/S (http://www.antec-inc.com/product/powers/true550.html)
        etc.
        etc.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 March 2002, 06:58.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What OS are you planning on using for that monster? 1-2G of DDR? You could probably play Pong on that thing or something . I'm still in shock that you bought an AMD...correction 2 AMD's.
          WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

I'm not. Now that there's non-Via motherboards out there.

The ECS is SiS chipset, Tyan is AMD 76x

--wally.

I'm successfully running a 1.4GHz Athelon T-Bird with 1.5GB of RAM on a Via chipset, but it was a rather long time to get working correctly.

Comment

The latest batch of VIA's Athlon chips no longer have the memory controller issues that made them such a pain in the past. They've actually come quite a long way.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well I just built one earlier this week for a friend with my old G400 and my god is that a fast computer. XP1700 clocks the same as my 1.4G Athlon, but that DDR really makes a difference along with an Ultra100 system drive. Went together really well and the VIA drivers were not a problem at all even in Win98SE. Much better chipsets, I may have to upgrade soon, can't have a girl beating me so badly , my ego is only so strong! Plus the prices are ridiculously low for so much CPU HP/RAMMAGE (new word, I know it ain't no codswallop). There really isn't any excuses anymore for being in the 2Ghz range.

How about heat issues? I know my little Athlon is a space heater, add another 600MHz to it and it should be cooking pretty good. Even with that .13 micron XP die. Two of them in the same case may make for some noisey cooling needs. Just a thought.

On an unrelated topic, today was my last day on the job. Feeling a little bummed and a little excited. Another chapter in my unsorted, boring life closes. Atleast I got some new toys to play with. An entire TV and AM/FM radio station at my disposal. I can see it now...Please Stand-By, We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties..because Sciascia was playing again. WooHoo!!

Comment

Hey Doc congratulations!
                  You have a good new mainboard. I'm using the same from 2 weeks (waitin for dual in RMA), and i can say it works great.
                  Yes, these ECS are very stable + CPU temp is vey lower then Asus (-10°).

ciao
                  Asus A7M266-D
                  AMD Dual Athlon XP1800+
                  DDR PC2100 512(2 x 256) MB
                  Ge Force 2 MX400 - 64 MB
                  OHCI 1394 controller
                  Panasonic NV-DS15 Pal (DV in enabled)
                  HD IBM 60 GXP 7200 rpm 60 GB (system)
                  HD WD Caviar 7200 rpm 60 GB

Adobe Premiere 6.01
                  Windows XP Pro

Comment