Sony Monitors any good??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Monitors any good??

Okay doke as my other monitor is begining to show a few creaks I was looking at another 21 inch monitor as a replacement. What do you lot think???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I've used Sony monitors for my entire computing life. (~15 years) You can't go wrong with one.

Comment

You might even want to check other brands using Sony Trinitron tubes, like CTX (and Dell, etc).

Comment

My loaner Dell Trinitron 21" sucks but I don't know what kind of abuse it has received before.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Sony tends to have very good monitors. They seem to save their best tubes for themselves.

Of course, we can't have a monitor thread at MURC without mentioning Cornerstone.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I must say they make exellent monitors altough a bit to expensive. At work I've got a Sony G400 and it looks great.
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I used to hear a lot of Sony monitors die. I worked next to a Sony plant and all day long you could hear some workers tossing tubes into a dumpster. What a satisfying job that must have been.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

i have a sony g200 17" and i´m satisfied with it.
                This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I've never been satisfied with Sony monitors. They tend to run dark. I might be biased though since other Sony products I've owned sucked even worse than the monitors. I try to stay away from sony in general, although I own a Digital Camera(flash broke) and a Video Camera from Sony. Don't forget that Sony jacks up all of their prices just because of the Sony name. I would never buy a TV or Stereo equipment from sony, but that's another debate

Dave
                  Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Sony is too expensive to my taste.
                    You'd better go with Iiyama's Vision Mater Pro (Diamondtron Tube) for best results and less expenses.

You can check monitor reviews at www.prpro.co.uk/shogun

(the "/shogun" is so you won't have to register )

It's in their "A" list:

Comment

I personally don't like the 2 fine black horizontal lines, inherent to the trinitron-technology. The are not apparent in regular images, but they become visible in software-development tools (Visual C++) and other office-software (word, powerpoint, ...). Actually, anything with a light background.

I guess it all depends on what you need the monitor for, and if you are tolerant towards the black lines...

(I went and bought a Philips, as they don't use trinitron image tubes)

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

TP didn't you just run through a Mitsubishi ... ie that tapping on the Diamondtron crt to focus BS?
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yup go it replaced three times now. One thing all these monitors do display is a convergance problem at the top and bottom of the screens some areas worse than others. Unfortunatley theres no adjustement for this unlike my 19 inch Nec monitor where you adjust the top and bottom convergance as well the overall convergence.
                          By the way the lines I complained about did start disappearing but Mitsubishi swapped it striaght out.

The way the monitors went.

1) Kept going out of focus across all the screen. Too blurry to go above 1024 * 768. Convergance problems.

2) Much clearer display out of focus top left corner minor convergance top and bottom. Then those lines that appeared after a week.

3) Even clearer display however the same convergance probs top and bottom. Text is readable at 1600 x 1200 but wouldn't like to stay there very long.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

A friend of mine has a SONY 19 inch with an SHARP Tube. And even with his Geforce a crystalclear picture at 1600x1200. I always wonder how it would look with a Matrox!
                            There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
                            For so long as one´s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
                            -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

I've seen two cheaper 19 inch Sonys on a Matrox G400. One was perfect and the other had a focus problem in one corner.
                              One of the biggest problems with Monitors is the varition between models of the same type. The only way to be sure is to be able to take the one of display. However in Sheffiled there isn't anywhere that stocks large monitors.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X