LCD Monitors and gaming and DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitors and gaming and DVDs

Now these aren't supposed to be good for games or watching films producing a blurry image when things get fast. Are there any goods ones or is the CRT still main stay for this.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

LCDs don't stand a chance against a CRT. For the price of a large LCD you can buy a top-of-the-line Diamondtron or Trinitron monitor.

Comment

It has to do with pixel response. To bring a dark pixel from full off to full on - how fast is that?

The BEST LCD's (brand new technology, available only in the past couple months) in the world can do it in 25ms AVERAGE. That means that the BEST you can possibly get is 40 color changes per second. Bear in mind, that you seldom will actually get that. And even if you did, it doesn't translate to FPS.

The pixel response on a CRT, in contrast, is whatever you set the refresh rate to (I'm not going to go into phosphor response, I'll leave that to someone else).

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

My main problem with LCDs is that they are made for a certain resolution, and the interpolation to hit other resolutions usually doesn't look so great.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

actually it's not so bad any more. i played with a viewsonic panel for a while (until it crapped out on me - long story) and it was very nice.

My Father-in-law has a new dell 17" panel and it's got great interpolation.

- Gurm
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I recently set up a guy with a G550 and a Veiwsonic V151 (15 in).
            Using the digital inputs the DVD picture was FANTASTIC!
            I couldn't see any artifacts at all.
            We didn't try any high fps games though, so I couldn't say about that.
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I have a mid range LCD and a cheap 17" LG crt. The LCD actually looks better for movie playback then the cheap CRT (of course its a cheap CRT) at the moment due to space reasons I'm looking at going all LCD.

I also find the eye strain is much less, and most pc's in this country are now sold with LCD displays so the price here is comming down dramitically.

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Just this morning I almost posted this same topic. I have been thinking of picking up a 17" Samsung lcd. I am waiting on a response from Samsung concerning the pixel response time on the monitor we have at work, which I can probably get for sub $400.

In my case, it would be used as a secondary (dvd's and movies mainly)/lan monitor, so if it has a high pixel response time I won't bother with it, even if I can get it cheap.

Btw, anyone happen to know the response time on the Samsung 760tft?

Comment

Yeah, the 760tft is 50ms...

Which translates to average fps of 15-ish. (yuck)

And SERIOUS ghosting.

BUT, VERY crisp display.

I dunno who makes Dell's display, but the response ain't bad and it has a digital in!

- Gurm

Comment

Well then, looks like the Samsung is out of the question. I have had my eye on the Cornerstone F1200, but it is a little out of my price range at this point.

Comment

Keep the info coming chaps. So it's looking like more like a CRT
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The best advice regarding buying an LCD monitor I can give, is to go to a big pc shop somewhere where they have a wall of monitors including a selection of LCD screens.

Here they are usually playing video music clips on them.

Have a look, if you like the look of one or two, as to try that monitor on a pc and try a fps game on it.

Mine has a 40ms delay time (checked the stats) and honestly UT runs fine with minimal ghosting. As always don't forget you are doing a trade off between the quick response of a CRT v's the benifits of an LCD display (less desktop realestate, less power and less heat).

But I'd really recomend going and having a look for yourself.

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Good suggestion however there isn't any in Sheffield that will do that. The biggest store Pcworld only stocks about five and most of these 15 inchers. They also play crap Pcworld demos or most likely a crap screen saver.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hmm. In Australia I had a few trade accounts, with a few of the companies I could ask for a demo unit. Might be worth narrowing down you selection and pulling a favour or two and getting one to play with for a few days to see if you like it.
                            Juu nin to iro

Comment

I've heard <a href="http://www.tech-report.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=866&forum=3&4">good things</a> about the <a href="http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.asp?sku=320-4105">Dell 2000FP</a>.

Comment

Working...
                              X