What's your favo(u)rite Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favo(u)rite Scotch?

I have only recently started plunking down the bucks on this stuff.. but did so after finding recommendations, so I got some good ones.

The Macallan Gran Reserva (18 years)
    Tastes like and has the texture of an older malt. LOTS of character.

Glenmorangie 18yo
    This might become my regular after tasting a bunch of them. Not too
    extremely expensive, but still makes Chivas Regal taste like rubbing alcohol.
    Puts my old standard 12yo Glenlivet in its place (not that the Glenlivet is any
    slouch, but it doesn't have nearly the same character).

I think 18 years might be the best age for Scotch. Some of the older ones get too rich for me (taste-wise and pocket-book wise.)
    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 24 March 2002, 12:18.

Glenfiddich 15 Year old is the best i've had so far...
    very smooth and its 50+% is to die for... neat or on ice

I have not have the chance to try the 18 yr variety

The whiskies i normally drink are as follows
    Johnny Walker Black Label, Chivas Regal 12yr, Jack Daniels, Teacher (Irish), Vat69 or Jim Beam if i cant get the rest
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Glenlivet has been my regular for years. I guess it's time to expand my horizons

Other than that Yukon Jack and Black Russians: kahlua + Stoli when I want a change.

Paul
      "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

The Glenmorangie looks interesting...
        Checkout the different Wood Finishes.

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

The guy at the liquor store told me he had tried the port wood finish when I got that 18yo. He liked it a lot. Wonder if any of that millenium malt is available stateside?

Comment

I'm not a fan of Whisky per se but I do like some of our American cousins derviatives i.e. Bourbon and JD.

Regards MD
            Interests include:
            Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I'm quite partial to Dimple.
              "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Old Fettercairn. I'm no big fan of whiskey, but this one is very good.

Comment

I like Teachers. Chivas ain't too bad. Glenfiddich tastes good, but definitely completely different from the other two. I had some Canadian stuff recently (forget the name) that was very decent. Johnnie Walker I'll drink but only if Teacher's, Chivas or Glenfiddich isn't available. BTW these must be had neat with no water to contaminate them.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Lagavulin is a great whisky - dark colour, very peaty, very powerful (though one of my friends always says that it tastes like a "corpse from out of the moor" )
                    Otherwise, I like Aberlour, Oban and Balvenie - and I had a Glenturret once that was excellent (if my memory doesn't deceive me...)

Comment

Probably my 4 favorites would be Glenmorangie, The Glenlivet, Oban, and Talisker. I drink Oban more than any of the others.
                      I've got some Chivas Brothers 21 laying around somewhere, I just haven't opened it yet.

b
                      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

My voting goes for Lagavulin 16yo (Scotch from the island Islay, the other Islay malts are also very fine) for its rich and rough but noble taste and Jameson 1780 16yo (Irish) for its mildness. Another great one is Highland Park (Scotch). A nice one for daily "use" is Bell's (Scotch, blended but high quality).

I drink'em all pure, on the rocks would be a sacrilege...

Cheers,
                        Cartman
                        main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

I like Jake Danials but I was seriously torqued the day I found out they'd watered it from 45% to 43% alcohol for the Black Label Number 7.

Kevin

Comment

i've been to jack daniels distillery.. they failed to mention that part on the tour
                            www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Well, disturbing news has come to me about Macallan.. I quote my source:

"A Japanese beverage group gained control of the stock and took over the company. They fired the head noser and many of the stillman. The 12 y/o now has a great deal of variance and they're even pushing out a 10 y/o now. Much more money oriented versus quality. The 25 y/o used to sell for $160 and now sells for $230+."

What a pity, rather, a damned outrage! I hope the remaining distilleries will take steps to stay owned by true Scotsmen with some taste, culture, and soul, rather than selling out to evil suits and destroying something priceless for a price.

Comment

Working...
                              X