Anyone here know anything about "Air Cards"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here know anything about "Air Cards"

I don't know if Air Card is a product name or a description of the product. What it is is a PCMCIA wireless modem. My dad is using one on his Compaq Ipaq right now, but he is getting an upgrade.

The city will basically buy him any air card he wants, so he asked me to find out which is the best. I know nothing about them, as is clearly apparent in the first part of my post.

Anyone here have any experience or recommendations for me?

I know air cards!!! Oh, oh, oh, oh... *raises hand*... at least if you are in the US and talking about Sprint PCS Air Cards...

[shameless plug]

Basic low down. Sprint PCS has a product called the Air Card (I don't know if other people do...but not to my knowledge). An Air Card is a PCS phone built into a PCMCIA card with an antenna sticking out. There's a piece of software you install on the PDA that will use the PCS wireless digital technology as a wireless modem.

Currently, the Air Card speeds SUCK! We are talking 14.4 kbps. With Blue Kite (free software) working you can get compression that makes it feel like 28.8 - 56k. PCS is about to roll out 3G (or G3, depending who you talk to), which will boost their speeds to ISDN like speeds (125 kbps if I remember right) on 3G ready devices.

Here's my opinion on the matter. If he needs lots of speed on the wireless side, like for graphics and attachments, wait a few more months and get a G3 Air Card w/ G3 service. Since the city is paying for it, it shouldn't be an issue. If he doesn't need break neck speeds, just text emailing and messaging, etc, just grab a regular Air Card.

You can get more details at a local Sprint PCS (who can tell you when/if G3 will hit your area soon) store or online:

[/shameless plug]

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I shouldn't tell you we have isdn 'air cards' here then should I
      Sadly the tech is not compatable

hmm also NTT has started working on G4 phone tech that will allow 100Mbs transfer

God I love this country

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

There is, however, rather fast aircard-like service available in metro NY. Flat fee, 256k. Not setting the world on fire, but "better". I forget the name of the service but if it comes back to me I'll post.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Is that Ricochet
          Last edited by Wombat; 22 March 2002, 11:54.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Could be, ya.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Unfortunately, Metricom (makers of Ricochet) has gone belly up.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

But Aerie Networks bought Ricochet, and is bringing it back in its more popular markets
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I hadn't heard that. I hope they do a better job than Metricom. I inerviewed with Metricom before they launched their networks.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                  X