Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Survey says mobile phones worse than drinking and driving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey says mobile phones worse than drinking and driving.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Need we say more. Ban the little B&**$%s!
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

I don't really disagree with what they say, but there are many other dangerous things that drivers do that either A) aren't illegal or B) aren't monitored in the first place.

I see lots of illegal goings on while I drive, but there's nobody there to catch you. Go a little over the speed limit, though, and it's like cops pop out of nowhere.

So who's going to pull you over for talking on the mobile? For a cop, it's almost as hard to see as whether someone's wearing a seatbelt.....don't see many peeps pulled over for that currently, do we?

I dunno, I think it's a noble idea but it won't make much of a difference in the world that it's illegal. Many people take the approach that "you're only breaking the law if you get caught"....

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

The seatbelt offense is only there so that cops have a reason to pull you over when they need it. But it's pretty easy to see someone talking on their cell, unless they just like to hold their hand to their ear. A lot of people drive like idiots because they're distracted by their cellphones, but unfortunately being an idiot isn't a punishable offense. So, now the cops can get you for that legal-but-stupid turn because you were on your cell phone. I'm grateful. I hate people talking on their cells while driving.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It falls under the general catagory of D.W.H.U.A.

Driving With Head Up ASS.......

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I agree, but I also hate it when women put on make-up, when people don't use turn signals, when peeps drive with no headlights in the rain, at night, etc., when peeps have their hi-beams on when they shouldn't, when they read the paper or a book instead of watching the road, when they drive drunk, when they drive with one arm around the passenger seat rather than using two hands for the steering wheel, or when they drive with their chin resting on one hand and laying the other wrist lightly over the steering wheel....etc etc etc etc etc. I see all of these on a regular basis.....the cell phone thing is just another I see.

Granted using a cell phone is more dangerous than many of the aforementioned acts....they are all dangerous in their own respect.

I enjoy driving, but I look forward to the day other people's cars get auto pilot.

b
          Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

There should be a general rule covering evidence of distracted driving. I have an ex girlfriend who drove like that. She was just inattentive, even with no external distractions. What's annoying is that I was a much safer driver than she was because when I drive, I pay fanatical attention to everything around me traffic wise, but she would always nag me about my speed. I'd have to tell her then how it doesn't matter how fast you're going.. if your mind is elsewhere you're much more dangerous.

Comment

I tend to notice that most drivers I know personally are not observant, ignorant of their poor driving habits, and generally lack all forms of situational awareness.

I am very very very rarely surprised by something that happens on the road, I usually know when someone's about to cut me off, even if they don't use a turn signal. I have only been passed a few times by cars at high speed where I didn't know they were going to pass me. On the flip side, I've ridden with many people who will be startled by a car passing them at high speeds...makes me wonder if people use their mirrors for anything other than hair/makeup???

b

Comment

Pity they didn't have someone talking to the driver as a comparison but the results would probably been the same as a hands free set.
                Most people think that mirrors and indicators are optional extras that get slapped on for free and are just decoration.
                I would also liked to see a test with the mobile discos. Ever tried warning one of those of your presance?
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hands-free is much better than a handheld when driving, but.... There's no way people sitting in the car talking to you are as much of a distraction. An adult in the car with you.

1) Is aware of the situation you're in, and knows when to shut up.

2) Actually can keep their eyes on the road, too.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    There's no way people sitting in the car talking to you are as much of a distraction. An adult in the car with you.

1) Is aware of the situation you're in, and knows when to shut up.

2) Actually can keep their eyes on the road, too.
                    Well I've seen adults arguing when they're driving. Women chatting to each other ignoring the road in front, Mothers leaning over from the drivers seat to tell there kiddies off. I don't think adults at times are very good at shutting up. I've got to admit I've got a good filter as far as conversation goes and if conditions are getting tricky I don't listen to them.

Today was a nice journey home no idiots for once. Have you noticed idiots are like busses. Don't see any for a bit then they all turn up at once.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                      I would also liked to see a test with the mobile discos. Ever tried warning one of those of your presance?
                      What the heck is a mobile disco? It's not what it sounds like is it? A dance club on a bus or something? Sheesh.
                      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I don't mean to make light of this but I found a paragraph rather amusing.

Tests by scientists at the Transport Research Laboratory said drivers on mobiles had slower reaction times and stopping times than those under the influence of alcohol.

Did they actually pump some people full of alcohol and say here's the keys. We want to see if you can stop faster than that guy talking on the phone?

I agree, they should ban phones in the car. If you're lost and you are calling for directions or you are going to be late, pull over, and make you call. My favorites are the yahoos you here on radio contests. The host asks where you're calling from and the caller answers driving down highway 40. If I was the host, I would hang up. How can you be concentrating on the road, when you're listening to a song over the phone that you haven't heard in 10 years and you need to come up with the name of the band and title of the song. Not to mention, when you are trying to call in because you know the song.

I really think cell phones should be banned completely. There's always the arsehole in the movie theatre, restaurant, etc. I've even heard phones go off in churches, schools and at work. I think it's going a little overboard.
                        #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                        people do all day!"

Comment

Agallag: I think by "Mobile Discos" The Pit means those cars which have those powerful music systems, thumping away all the time! Its really difficult to get the attention of the person driving one of those, as in he/she can't hear your horn or anything!
                          Cheers
                          Ovi
                          Last edited by Ovi; 25 March 2002, 12:09.

Comment

Originally posted by spoogenet
                            when they drive with one arm around the passenger seat rather than using two hands for the steering wheel, or when they drive with their chin resting on one hand and laying the other wrist lightly over the steering wheel....etc etc etc etc etc.

I have to disagee with this. I always drive with one hand on the gearshift and one hand on the wheel. Or in the summer, with the windows down, 1 arm out the window, and the wrist over the steering wheel. But I consider myself a very carefull driver none the less.

Because you are relaxed when your driving, doesn't mean it's dangerous. You could be gripping the steering wheel so hard your knuckles are turning white and when the emergency appears and you have to stop, you panic and pull into the guy beside you. Talking on the phone, holding the phone, making sure it's positioned properly, dialing, answering the phone, checking voice mail and punching in passwords I would say do not compare with driving with one hand on the steering wheel.

Even though I drive with one arm on the wheel, I will often point out to my wife, watch that guy in front is going to cut off the guy on the right. But holding a phone and talking to someone I'm not so sure.
                            #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
                            people do all day!"

Comment

Did they actually pump some people full of alcohol and say here's the keys. We want to see if you can stop faster than that guy talking on the phone?
                              Yes. They either use a car simulator, or a closed course. I've known people that have done the closed course stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X