No vibrations....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No vibrations....

When I changed to the Alpha HS I seems to have made the computer heavy enough to make my computer table (a modified IKEA POS) unbalanced.

Checked my other computer that has almost no fans and it is having the same "rythm" albeit much much fainter, and it is standing directly on the floor.

So I get terible "resonans" vibrations in the light side of the table (that it also are on wheels makes it worse).

So ive "isolated" the case by putting soft pads under the case "feet"'s!

And also put them betven the table and the case.

And a 20 pound weight at the oposit side of the computer......

eliminating the vibrations in the table top.

the tabletops vibration noise was driving me crazy........

Top of the case vibrates slightly now and the feet of the table....

The inards of the case dont vibrate (the HDD's don't even do that under full blast, probably due to the chock absorbant I used when redesigning the HDD bays)
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Yeah, I threw my machine off balance when I was on my fan-happy overclocking kick.

Had ... oh... about 10 fans in there, and the whole thing would literally scoot around on the hardwood floor...

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

What do you people need all those fans for?

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
        Do we realy have to explaine that?

BTW:

The fans doen'nt seem to be the main culprit as my other computer who only have two fans (cpu + PSU) and it still have the same vibration "rythm" albeit fainter....
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

ok sorry but i fancy a rant:
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do we realy have to explaine that?

i am not tryin to offend anyone but really what is more important eeking out an insignificant performance increase from your system or running with one which makes as little noise as possible and consumes as little power as possible. howanyone could live with 10 fans is beyond me. the one on my processor and psu do my head in and they are pretty quite. i am waiting for the day when you integrate the heatsink into an alluminium case for maximum heat dissipation and then i may finally be able to throw those damned fans away once and for all. i am gonna try to do this as a project in the summer when i have some time and money to play with. i would watercolll but it is way too much hassle and if it leaks you are f'd.
          end of rant
          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

watercool with liquid gas; if it leaks, it will vaporize instantly...
            Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

borat, my point exactly.

Unless you run a serverpark or have a professional webhosting service with 24/7 uptime, I don't see the need for 'the hovercraft effect'.

Comment

This was during my time as a frenzied overclocker - with a semi-soundproof enclosure to put the cpu in.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

The loudest fan in my system is the PSU fan and that one I can't do much about..

All my other fans is both silenced by using a 12-->5.5 volt adapters and temperature controlled!!

I got the Alpha so I could ditch the high pithced 21cfm ystech 60mm fan.

Loud would be the days when I had all the fans on constantly, before I got my hands on the DigiDoc2 (i have now a DigiDoc5)

On the other hand I have never understod the "complete silence" types...

Put me in a completely silent room with a completly silent computer and forbid me to play music and I would probably go paraniod....

Comment

Complete silence would solve problems for video editors who don't have the room for a small recording booth. Then one could more easily record voiceovers in labs without such a resource.

Noise cancelling mics help, but aren't perfect under all conditions.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I give upp!

My computer Is moving!

But not on its own accord

I am going to move it into a bookshelf!

There it will ne a little higher up
                      be easier to acces the inards!

I can use my force feedback stick and wheel without fearing to wibrate the hell out of the hdds!! (the GXP nighmare has made me slightly more paraniod than before )

Hanging the Computer to the side of my compter table as I did was emergency solution when It still was a K6200

Since then the weight has doubled!

the case weights in the ranbe of 35 to 40 pounds and the case I originaly hanged there can't have weighted more than about 18 pounds!

The computer table is badly balanced!

The 22 pound weight helps but its time to make something more permanent!

Comment

Working...
                      X