Oh my fvcking G....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh my fvcking G....

ABIT is going to start producing server boards! http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1600&p=7

What the F. are they doing????? You would think they would first try to produce a board that lasts longer then a year and a half!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a ****ing NAS what the ****!!!! Like I would let any company use another ABIT product ever again let alone a NAS!!!!!! "Sorry Sir all the caps onb your nas has "exploaded" and all your 160GB of data is lost would you like to buy a new one?!?!?!?!?!?

EDIT: And to make things worse they are using a High-Point IDE controller so RAID 5 is only available in software!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Guru; 20 March 2002, 11:40.
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Although they are the first major board maker to produce a legacy-free board. No more ISA bus makes Jammrock happy Now if we can only get Asus and MSI to follow suit.

Speaking of crappy Abit boards. My old KA7-100 died last week...so I put in an Asus and the thing runs like a champ again.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Sharing Jammrock's exact fate (and still without money for a new mobo + DDR memory + CPU + cooler combo) I can only hope that they have learned their lesson from the KA7/KT7 days

Otherwise... Guru, you know, "Siperia opettaa"
        I don't think that companies are going to just look by and tolerate their data losses, eh =?
        Last edited by Tempest; 20 March 2002, 12:49.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with my Abit boards.

My BH6/300a combo is still going strong in my wife's computer. My friend is still using my old KA7/Athlon 700 config. My mother hasn't had any problems with her Abit ZM6/Celeron 500 system. Another friend's KA7/Athlon 700 system was just passed on to yet another friend. Yet another friend has a P2-400/BH6 that he just relegated to a fileserver for his house.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

And that's the weird thing. Abit wasn't always like this. Their Socket 7 offerings were much more solid than what they have today. Even their Slot 1 stuff...
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
              (I seem to recall that the TX behaves badly if you exceed 64Mb,
              something having to do with caching, but that may have only been with 9x)
              When will that rumor/misunderstanding finaly die out???

If more memory is used than the mb can cahce nothing else will happen else than the "non" cahced memory will be slower by some margin.....

The the Caching limits for various Chipsets should by now have their own place in the Faq files!!!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My issue with Abit is their APPARENT severe lack of quality control. Some people get boards that last for years (case in point I think my first BX6 is still in action up in New Hampshire somewhere), but some people get boards that die horrifying deaths early in life.

- Gurm
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

I loved Abit up until they touched VIA. Their BX and TX boards were/are fantastic and still run perfectly today - my dad's got a BX6 (original!) running a PII-333@500Mhz, and my brother a BX6r2 running a PIII550 (used to run a celery300a@464 for many years )

I've hated them ever since the VP6 I think.

Comment

1 - My abit SA6R died after 8 months due to leaking caps, RMA'd without a problem, but it was a pain in the butt as it was my nix server/firewall.

2 - Technoid, I'm more then happy to put that sort of information into the FAQ files, now if someone would like to provide me with links or the details of all the chips sets and their limits.......

Dan
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Well my KT7 is still going strong.

If you dont count the fact that KT7's bios doesnt run my Maxtor ATA133 drive unless i set it at ATA33 everything is running great [ guessing i could get it running ATA66 if i changed Maxtor to ATA66 by a program, but havent done that just yet, since the bios correctly shows ATA66 on bootup, but if i set that in XP the HD performance goes down the crapper ].

Havent tried the 2 latest driver versions in 3DMark with my radeon yet @ max o'c but im pretty sure i would get into 8000's [ Max o'c beeing the max multiplyer 12.5x111~1390 ]. Top score on the 6025's was so far about ~7850.

This board is going to last untill ill get a new XP[0.13] or maybe a monster o'c P4A. Everything running SO smoothly now so no point in thinking about new upgrade.

PeTe

Comment

My BH6 lived a long live till I went to transport it up to my girlfriends place...it was DOA . I loved that motherboard...took me from a Celeron 300A to a P3-something or another O/C to 667 then back to Celeron2-566@976 . I wonder if my Abit KG7 will serve me as well?

Scott
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Found a page with info on chipsets that is relevant to Cahceable sises:
                          Pentium Socket 7 Chipset Information

All newer CPU's that use "newer" sockets and slots than "socket 7"

suports cacheable memmory 4GB of memmory or more
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I still have one BH6 running, but it's on the wifes crafting machine and only has to run Win2K and a scanner.

As far as "modern" ABIT boards go I wouldn't give you a nickle for a truckload of them.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Had a Abit bf6 which ran flawlessly overclocked like a charm. Bought a Abit Kt7 133a raid and what shit ended in the bin as I couldn't sell it on as the person would have brought striaght back.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X