Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some formatting questions

Hi mates

First of all, finaly I made the purchase yesterday, within a few days I'll gonna have: Soyo dragon+, XP1800+, 512MB, 40GB, ATI AIW 7500, Audio 5.1, 1394, LG x32x12x8.

All this after I was struggling with my old K6-II Laptop.

My questions, since I have no experience with NT/W2K, are regarding NTFS.

1. Is there any problem transferring files from NTFS to FAT32 and back?

2. I heard that in case of failure in the system the computer will not recognize NTFS drive. is it true? what are the solutions?

3. My HDD is currently divided into 3 partitions (by FDISK) 30/5/5. Is possiable to install W2k on one 5GB partition and W98SE on the other 5GB partition and having the 30GB partition NTFS formated (for video editing)?

Is there any special recommendation for how should I do it?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by bill2; 21 March 2002, 06:55.
    SOYO DRAGON PLUS
    AthlonXP 1800+
    512 megs DDR 2100
    Windows XP Pro.
    IBM 40.1 GB
    ATI AIW RADEON 7500
    ONBOARD SOUND 5.1 Ch.
    Panasonic NV-DS15 (DV in/out)
    Ulead MSP 6.0

NTFS to Fat32 and back

Hi Bill2,

"1. Is there any problem transferring files from NTFS to FAT32 and back? "

W98/se standard will not see a NTFS partition. W2K will see a FAT32 partition with no problem. So if the file resides on an NTFS partition (Under W2K for example, as the running OS) and you want to transfer it to a FAT32 partition you will be able to do it with no problem. The FAT32 -> NTFS is no problem either.

If your active OS is W98 and the file is on an NTFS partition you will not see the file. So w98 will only be able to transfer files located on FAT32 partitions.

One exception to the W98 case is if you install a driver from www.sysinternals.com (NTFS for W98). Using this driver (free for read-only, not free for full operation) you will be able to see NTFS partitions in W98.

"2. I heard that in case of failure in the system the computer will not recognize NTFS drive. is it true? what are the solutions? "

It depends on the failure and the tools used for recovery. You can always make a W2K bootable/recovery floppy and get to the recovery console. But using it requires some NT/W2k system recovery experience. In any case, FAT 32 (W98) will not be more reliable/safe from this point of view. Give me an example of what kind of system failure you are reffering to and I will give you more details.

"3. My HDD is currently divided into 3 partitions (by FDISK) 30/5/5. Is possiable to install W2k on one 5GB partition and W98SE on the other 5GB partition and having the 30GB partition NTFS formated (for video editing)? "

Yes it is. If you format the 30GB partition with NTFS W89SE will not see it. Use FAT 32 if you want to access it from both W98SE and W2K.

It is a common practice (I should say a must) that the Video editing drive should not contain any partition that deals with the OS or the applications installed on the machine. If you do that it is most likely that you will have problems when capturing video.
    If you do not do capture (or any real time operation for that matter) just video processing (encoding, editing without real time preview,...) it should be fine, but not recommended.
    One last note here, it is not recommended among other reasons because if your video application crashes badly, i.e. instant reboot, in the middle of writing to a video file, chances are that you can hose also the partition with the OS. Even if you were writing to a separate partition and the HDD HW and driver is smart enough(theoretically) to either park the heads or keep them on the partition, who knows what really happens in that split second ?

In your case, you should have a separate drive for the OS-es and another one dedicated to Video Work.

The easiest way is to use Partition Magic recovery diskette.

Format the W98se partition with FAT32, make it primary and active, install W98SE onto it. Win 98SE must be installed first, on the first partition because it has the nasty habit of messing the MBR (Master BOOT Record) if you reinstall it at a later date.

Boot again with the Partition Magic diskette, format the second partition with NTFS, make it primary and active, hide the W98 partition(optional) and install W2K on It.

Boot again from the Part Magic floppy and format the third partition with FAT32.

Comment

Hi radu

Thanks very much for the detaild answer. I'll keep you informed.
      SOYO DRAGON PLUS
      AthlonXP 1800+
      512 megs DDR 2100
      Windows XP Pro.
      IBM 40.1 GB
      ATI AIW RADEON 7500
      ONBOARD SOUND 5.1 Ch.
      Ulead MSP 6.0

Comment

Hi Bill2,

Just to digress a bit, could you report on the degree of satisfaction you achieve with the 7500 AIW? I'm thinking about upgrading to one eventually and I'd be interested in how you fair with it. I'm sure there are others at this forum who would also be interested.

All the fanfare surrounds the 8500 but the 7500 AIW is about half the price of the 8500DV AIW and I don't like the idea of firewire on the graphics card anyway. Also, since I have a BX board that will max out with an eventual 1Ghz P3 processor upgrade, the 7500 looks to be about as much video card as the dating chipset and cpu can handle. I read an article that claimed anything better than a GeForce 2 Pro was wasted on a P3 system and I'm sure the 7500 is already faster, probably closer to a GF2 Ultra if I'm not mistaken...

Your thoughts please...

Frank
        Last edited by Frank Marshall; 21 March 2002, 01:40.
        Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

A shame though that the AIW7500 comes without remote control...
          I'm the most curious about the functioning of Theatre Mode (which should be ATI's version of DVDMax) Maybe it's even useful for video-editing... guess not.

landrover
          -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
          2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
          Matrox Parhelia 128
          Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
          Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
          Maxtor 300 GB for video
          Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
          Win XP Pro

At work:
          Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
          Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

I'll be very happy to share my comments with you all. However, you have to be patient because I'll get it only next month.

By the way, as far as I know there is a remote control in the AIW 7500 retail pack.
            SOYO DRAGON PLUS
            AthlonXP 1800+
            512 megs DDR 2100
            Windows XP Pro.
            IBM 40.1 GB
            ATI AIW RADEON 7500
            ONBOARD SOUND 5.1 Ch.
            Ulead MSP 6.0

Comment

Working...
            X