Yet another Home Theater Thread :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Home Theater Thread :D

Well later this summer I'm looking at upgrading my home theater speakers (right now some Crappy Bose 301 fronts and 201 for rears) to something little more up scale. I have heard good things about Phase Techonogies Speakers and I'm gonna have about $1200-1500 bucks to spend when I do this. Anyone have any suggestions or other recommendations? or any good places to order online?

Thanks

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Here are some links to Forums and review sites:

AudioReview brings you user reviews and editorial reviews on speakers, amps, TVs and audio equipment reviews, news, forums, and used audio equipment listings and more.

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Audio recommendations from audiophiles and free forums. Ask questions and get advice on stereos, speakers, hi-end amplifiers, pre-amps, home theater, tube hi-fi, turntables, vinyl, tweaks, music, films, video, DVDs and more. A personal Audio Advisor with tons of stereo equipment reviews. A special place for music lovers.

Online Stores:

Used Stuff:

Audiogon provides a marketplace for people to buy, sell, trade, or discuss high-end audio. Audiogon is a community for hifi enthusiasts and audiophiles.

This will keep you busy for awhile

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Some criteria would help if you're looking for recommendations. I assume you're looking for a complete surround setup, but there's lots more to consider.

- speaker size, ie. floor standing, stand mounted, wall mounted surrounds, etc
      - are you going for clarity and quality or sheer volume?
      - how big is the room?
      - what kind of receiver and/or amp are you hooking them up to?

I'm personally working on a low-end B&W setup. I got a pair of DM601 S2s so far, and hopefully will add either a second pair, or some 604s (not likely $$) pretty soon. The 601s are hella sweet for bookshelf/stand mount speakers
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Phase Tech is an excellent brand for the money. So is Paradigm, though they are a bit brighter and don't handle power as well. If you want to go B&W you could do these:

DM602.5 Series 3 for mains: $700
        DM600 Series 3 for rears: $350
        LCR60 Series 3 for center: $350

This is assuming that you are only replacing speakers with this money. If you are doing so, this would be a great set for your budget. Don't try to mix and match brands amongst your 5 speakers though.. it usually doesn't work very well. The sub can be different, but I would go with something B&W there, too.. unless you can spring for a Velodyne SPL1000 at $999.00 each.

Do NOT buy your speakers online!

Hope this helps..

Comment

B&W is nice stuff, I had it demoed, and as well everyone says good stuff about them.

A guy here at work is a complete nut audiophile, and he swears by Polk Audio.

But the links in the first post are great for research

have fun and good luck
          AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X