M$ at it again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M$ at it again...

Talk about a bunch of back stabbing liars...

Resistence is futile, you will be assimilated.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Even worse:

Comment

Much ado about nothing. XP is not, in fact, less stable than Win2k. It is MORE stable.

However, it is LESS tolerant of retrograde hardware, due (once again) to getting closer "to the metal" in terms of speed.

Users want FASTER. They want their games to run as fast as humanly possible. Therefore, MS gets a step closer to the hardware, and XP can be crashed by bad drivers.

Big shock.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

*Shudders*

That last page was truly disturbing though I knew most of that already from Slashdot and other sources. I'm am going to be the "computer person" for a start up mortgage company and I am going to eventually have to deal with this XP crap. I have enough trouble keeping track of all their updates without having to deal with all these security flaws. Hopefully, their SP will at least improve things or I am going to have to take a major crash course in Redhat and Samba.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Much ado about nothing. XP is not, in fact, less stable than Win2k. It is MORE stable.

However, it is LESS tolerant of retrograde hardware, due (once again) to getting closer "to the metal" in terms of speed.

Users want FASTER. They want their games to run as fast as humanly possible. Therefore, MS gets a step closer to the hardware, and XP can be crashed by bad drivers.

Big shock.

- Gurm
          How can less tolerant and more stable describe the same product? Granted, I have never used XP so maybe I just don't understand.

Comment

*sigh*

The kernel is more stable. Unfortunately, they rely on vendors to make stable drivers. nVidia has never been capable of doing this.

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

And, let me reiterate that several recent studies have found Linux to have as many, if not MORE, flaws and vulnerabilities.

And to fix a Linux flaw you have to recompile the kernel. To fix a windows flaw, you tick off a checkbox and hit "install".

- Gurm

Comment

Looks like Gurm has been assimilated...you're next Dogbert!

Jammrock

Comment

Oh, pishposh. You're just playing devil's advocate, and we all know it. Pretending you're some big anti-MS advocate. Pfft.

- Gurm

Comment

And, let me reiterate that several recent studies have found Linux to have as many, if not MORE, flaws and vulnerabilities.
                    What Gurm meant to say is that Linux's flaws are more easily found, and fixed. Window's problems just cause crashes nobody can explain or research.

And to fix a Linux flaw you have to recompile the kernel. To fix a windows flaw, you tick off a checkbox and hit "install".
                    Or you could run any of the major distributions, which give nice little checkboxes to hit and install. But I'd hate to limit Gurm's ability to FUD.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, even if he's playing Devils advocate I'm NOT.

XP is relegated to beta use ONLY here until a service pack addresses some of the major issues noted in the FS article. As it is now it's more trouble than its worth to get it working on my editing systems.

IMHO if anything their article was mild and XP is nothing more than a very costly public beta that falls on its arse when pressed.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Interesting. Can you provide some sources for these studies? Thank you.

Yes, if you are lucky and M$ gives you something to install...

Comment

*sigh*

The kernel is more stable. Unfortunately, they rely on vendors to make stable drivers. nVidia has never been capable of doing this.

- Gurm
                          I thought this was the case with every OS as the drivers have such strong if not direct access to the hardware.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the advantage of a system where the kernel is stable & everything else flys apart at slightest provocation.
                            Most users are actualy doing something with thier computers.
                            If thier program crashes they've lost thier work whether they need to cold restart or just restart the app.
                            I've installed Linux every once & a while since 1995 & it is still not ready for general use.
                            I doubt that you could realy get the long uptime stats that people talk about on a Linux box that was used for a lot of different programs they way most home PCs are.
                            And printer support!? Ha!!!!!!
                            In fact my wife & I took a Linux night class just a couple of months ago and we saw RedHat 7.1 crash many times a night on just the 8 PC that were in that room. Of course, we didn't learn as much as we hoped because so much time was spent by the Linux Zomby teacher talking about how bad Windoz is.
                            I'm with Gurm on this one. Festering Pile is pretty close to the truth.
                            Chuck
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

HAHAHAHAHA...looks like I've re-opened a big ol' can of wormz.

Allow me to clear things up about M$ and Jammrock:

1) M$ as a company is a bunch of greedy bastards spawned from the darkest depths of hades, come to this world hell bent on dominating the world. Their business practices are unethical at best. If it were up to me, I would hack and slash M$ like the government did to Ma' Bell and Standard Oil (back in the old days), just to piss them off to the extent that they have pissed off the OEM industry.

2) Bill Gates is the devil itself. His most eVil and vile minion are hired to work licensing agreements and OEM contracts. There is no hell worse enough to punish them for what they have and are doing to the software world.

3) M$ OS's are okay. It takes M$ 3-4 years to get it working right. By that time they have released 3 new OS's and completely stopped all support for the one they finally fixed. WinXP is a big step forward, but it is by no means the perfect little angel that Gurm is making it out to be. WinXP has FUBARed just as much as Win2k, it just does it faster and in more diverse ways, but it's a big step forward from NT 4.0.

4) Office apps...who give a flying rats arse about compatibility. Who ever uses more than 10% of the crap offered in any office package? More importantly, who cares about more than 10% of the crap any office package has to offer? Maybe a select few in the neighborhood of 1% of the computing population.

5) X-box and newer M$ hardware endeavours. Just more proof that M$ thinks they will take over the world. Don't be shocked if the X-box 2 contains Transmetta processors...and you thought Paul Allen helped start that company out of the goodness of his heart.

6) WPA...burn in hell! Even more reason to become a pirate. ARGH MATEY!! I'll burn in hell with Bill before I'll willing hand over my computer info and personal info to those leeches.

7) The only two things I'm looking forward to from M$ are a Service Release for WinXP and the Tablet PC. Why the Tablet PC? Because it would actually be useful for my job! Go figure.

Jammrock
                              Last edited by Jammrock; 18 March 2002, 12:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X