Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuzzy sound when capturing... Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzy sound when capturing... Any ideas?

When running the PC-VCR application to watch programs through my Rainbow Runner-G, I have absolutely no problems at all. However, once I capture video (using either AVI_IO or VirtualDUB), playback includes fuzzy, static ridden audio.

Any ideas?

I've captured using both HuffyV and PicVIDEO codecs in 704x480(?).

My setup is as follows:

Windows 2000 Professional w/ SP2
    Nvidia Geforce2 Pro GTS
    Matrox G200
    Matrox Rainbow Runner G
    Creative SBLive X-Gamer
    MSI KT7Pro (with IDE Raid)
    Athlon XP 1600+
    2 x 60 gig IBM Deskstars in Raid 0 configuration
    12 gig Maxtor HD (OS drive)
    512 MB PC133 RAM

You don't say how you set it up for sound. If you try to record in 8 bit sound, it could be that your pianissimo passages either disappear and/or have additional noise. You can't have the same dynamic range and 8-bit is quite limiting.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Sorry about that. I'm capturing in CD quality sound (at least that's the setting in the capture software, i think 44Khz). I've tried some additional settings and it still has that same static.

Comment

In that case, it sounds like it might be a hardware problem. Try disconnecting everything from your sound card and moving it to a different slot: then try again. Also check the other sound socketry from start to finish. I once had a noise problem which was cured simply by unplugging the red and white leads from my camera into the Marvel BOB, and plugging them in again.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I used to bypass my BOB when I used a similar setup. It also helped to give me better volume controll.

Ted
          Premiere PRO XP Pro
          Asus P4s533
          P4-2.8
          Matrox G450
          RT.x100
          45 GIG System Drive
          120 Export Drive
          Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
          17" P4-3 HT
          1024 RAM
          32 MEG GForce
          60 GIG 7200RPM HD
          80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
          DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Well... I've tried just about everything...
            Moved hardware, switched cables, bypassed the matrox card and inputted the audio directly to the sound card... still fuzzy static. Another thing I noticed is that the sound seems to fall out of sync sometimes....

maybe that might be an indication of another problem. Also, I'm using DX 8.1. Could that cause any problems?

Thanks

Comment

I suppose, if it were me I would get a new sound card and hope that I didn't have some sort of electronic interference going on.

The "out of sync" problems rings of a sound card problem or the need for current/different drivers.

I am assuming you have ehausted all the combinations of settings for your sound card's mixer panel.

Ted
              Premiere PRO XP Pro
              Asus P4s533
              P4-2.8
              Matrox G450
              RT.x100
              45 GIG System Drive
              120 Export Drive
              Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
              Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
              17" P4-3 HT
              1024 RAM
              32 MEG GForce
              60 GIG 7200RPM HD
              80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
              DVD RW/RAM

Comment

hmm...

maybe. i'll have to see if i can find another sound card to try.

i also tried capturing just audio using windows sound recorder, and it recorded sound fine without the static.

what kind of electronic interference could it be? also, i'm wondering why there's no static during normal tv viewing on my rrg versus when i capture.

Comment

Could also be the PCI bus is getting a little bit taxed between the audio and video being captured at the same time. Are you sharing any IRQ's?

Also try this, though it may seem strange, unplug any USB devices that you haev while capturing. It's a long shot, but what the heck, it's an easier step than replacing the SC. USB controllers are on the southbridge which is the same as the IDE controllers. There are some cases that the 2 don't get along all the time at high data rates. Just a quick idea.
                  WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

That actually crossed my mind... I do have several devices that all seem to share irq 11.

(sound card, vid, ethernet, raid controller)

although, i'm not sure how easy it is to change those in win2k. I actually did set up an alternative hardware profile disabling just about everything except vid and sound with about the same results.

not sure if that would help that much, but it was a shot.

thanks,
                    bobby

Comment

Working...
                    X