An Old problem revisited...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Old problem revisited...

Nearly two years ago, I bought a pair of Savage4 32MB PCI cards, thinking these would be pretty good for a MultiMonitor rig...which they were in Win98.

Along came Win2K....Error Code 10, Device Cannot Start. I used every driver I could find to no avail, and eventually let the whole subject drop.

A couple of days ago, I come across a BIOS update for Savage4 cards, the readme said it resolved some kind of initialization problem for Via Chipsets (Initialization....say, isn't that another word for START? )after some quick wrangling to get one of the Savage4 cards back from a Cousin, I apply the BIOS updates to each and Viola!; MultiMonitor in Win2K and WinXP.

Patience, persistence, and a lot of dumb luck.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Sweet!

I've pulled a " MultimediaMan" before. Except mine was more risky (I could have fried the card), I had a pooched HotRod 66 card, well the bios was pooched on it so my system wouldn't boot with it in, so I started an old machine up into DOS and hot swapped the card in an empty PCI slot and re-flashed the correct bios and it worked!

We MURCers rock!
    Last edited by ZokesPro; 17 March 2002, 12:33.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Is it just coincidence that 95% of the problems reported in these forums involve VIA chipsets? I've never used systems with their parts and judging by all the bitching, I doubt I ever will.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
        Is it just coincidence that 95% of the problems reported in these forums involve VIA chipsets? I've never used systems with their parts and judging by all the bitching, I doubt I ever will.
        I agree, but once you get stable drivers and all the problems worked out they work fine.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I'm not plugging against VIA here. (Let me amend that: At least not in this thread...)

The Fix was to address a problem encountered with VIAs and other systems (Mine in particular is a BX-based Duallie, that also exhibited problems in an LX-based Duallie)...the new Bios is Multi-Monitor aware, or at least capable now in Win2K/XP.

I think there was a base addressing problem that was causing the whole mess anyway. You will note that Sonic Blue and VIA together run S3 now...

Zokes: Speaking of the HPT366...

There is a new BIOS and driver for Win2K/XP I might try...there are some very specific requirements about how to install it, but they are implying it at least works now...

I'll keep you posted.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X