Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Sager notebooks

Any experiences with them?

HP has bought back my N5495 with the weird 1394 port defect where it works with DV cams but not SBP2 storage devices, so I'm in the market for a new notebook again.

The N5495 was a close out, and unfortunately its replacement the ZT1180 doesn't have a floppy. HP tech support was slow to escalate the problem to someone with a clue, but once done, HP did stand by its product, unfortunately they could not supply a replacement N5495. All other P-IIIs from Sony Compaq Toshiba etc with SXGA+ or better displays also lack floppies and cost more than I paid for N5495. Nobody seems to make an Athelon4 with a decent (>XGA) display :-(

So far the best replacemnet I've found is Sagger MP5620-V or similar model form ProStar (they appear to be the same machine, Sager has marginally better price.

P4 2Ghz, 512MB PC2100DDR, 40GB hard drive CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 4 USB, 1 PCMCIA (bummer, but I can live with it, maybe) PS/2 and parallel port (I need legacy stuff sometimes), 1394 port, ATI 7500 Radeon Mobility and 1400x1050 SXGA+ display (Hitachi) and Secondary battery that swaps in instead of the floppy. All for $2330. Their website has a 30day no questions asked return policy where I'd only be out shipping. HP paid shipping back to them, I'm only out the shipping to me. I sure wish I'd hooked up the 1394 drive first -- I hooked up the DV cam, ot worked, loaded up some software and hit the road for a few weeks with no chance for video editing, upon return I discovered the weird 1394 defect.

Based on most reviews the performance increase about linearly scales with the price difference compared to the 1.2GHz P-IIIMs and I figure it should do a bit better on MPEG encodeing.

When I need to use battery I can live without the floppy, so I figure two batteries should give me the ~ 3hrs I need. Its ~11lb weight (with two batteries) doesn't bother me -- I need a desktop replacement, really about the only time I use battery power is on airplanes to watch a DVD movie.

I've looked at the new Toshiba P4-M 1.7GB for ~$2500 but it lacks the option for a second battery and only gets ~90 minutes of battery life. Its floppy is external, but it does have two PCMCIA slots and a gorgous 1600x1200 UXGA LCD display with GeForce440 video. This is also pushing the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend, ruling out the more expensive Dell's and Micron Transport -- like I care about a fingerprint reader!

Of course if I could wait six months.....

--wally.
Working...
X