G400max vs. G550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400max vs. G550

I will be getting a video card within 2 weeks and It'll definitely be a Matrox card because I value 2d much more than 3d.. I've heard a lot of good and bad things about the G550.My question is what card is better, the G550 or G400max? I have a 1 gig Athlon processsor with a via chip, both bridges are via, and an AGP slot (2X, 4X mode) with
    Windows ME.. If the G400max is incompatible with my PC then my decision is easy.. Unless I wait for the Parhelia..

The G400 Max is (or at least should be) compatible with your system so I recomend you tto get one if you can not wait for The big M 's next product!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

G400 MAX better for games, G550 better for DVI and 2nd monitor can have a higher resolution (MAX can only reach 1280x1024@~60Hz).

P.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

If you do 2D, get the G550, it has the best 2D to-date, people use G400 MAXs for better 3D performance.
        I'd like to Glide my T-Buffered foor up nVidia's Transformed and Lighted ass...

Comment

The G400Max also has working EMBM - the G550 EMBM is broken.
          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
          My System
          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
          German ATI-forum

Comment

Thanks everyone.. It's kinda funny that you guys are split between the 2.. Everytime I read a post I think I know what I want then I read the next and i'm back where I started..LOL!

So far i'm leaning towards a G550.. Even though I'm really not sure what a EMBM is..

Comment

Enviormentaly Maped Bump Mapping, and it's not working through the DVI output on the G550, however if your running VGA (a normal monitor ((all CRTs and many LCDs)) ) it's working...

Comment

But it looks like shyte, hence "not working".

Comment

What are you planning to use it for then?

I personally would only buy a G550 for the benefits in DualHead, but if you're only going to be using a TV or small (15/17") monitor for your 2nd output then I don't think there's much difference.

For playing Quake3/UT at medium res (XGA 1024x768) say, 32bit, then the MAX will be a better choice.

There isn't much in the 2 cards anyway, and the MAX might be hard to pick up - G550 is only Matrox card in production I believe, certainly doubt the G400 is still being made!

P.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

So that's what EMBM is.. Thanks

My main goal is to get superior 2d performance.. I rarely play video games..

I'm thinking of getting the G550 because I know that the G450 will have some compatibility problems with my system.. Im not sure about the G400max.. If I were to get a g400max I would buy it used from Shop Matrix..

I wanted to be able to use the G550 if I eventually got a digital LCD. I may never get one but I want to keep my options open.. I doubt I would ever need to use 2 monitors at once.. God knows I never want to see my head in 3d talking..

In a nutshell my computer at work uses a matrox card that I find easy on my eyes and I would like to get something that would be compatible for my home pc that would give me the same 2d performance and be able to play streaming video..

So far I'm leaning towards the G550.. Oh, the pressure...

Comment

Ya...

What you want is a G550...

Comment

Yeah the G550 seems to be the best bet.. Thanks everyone..

Comment

Working...
                        X