Thoroughbread 2800+ at CeBit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoroughbread 2800+ at CeBit

Here are a couple of <a href="http://www.clubic.com/n/n5377.html" target="_blank">pics</a> from a french site.

The new core seems to be little more than half the size of Palomino.

rubank

I wonder how well they overclock and how well they run in a dualie...

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

0,13 micron, less heat and higher overclock speeds
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Have to be careful with that Kei.

Everybody says "ooo pretty, smaller process = less heat." Well, the die is smaller too. So, less area, but less heat. With these newer processes, your wattage/cm tends to <I>increase</I>, and it's actually harder to keep the new die cool.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

which cause me to wonder why they don't integrate a heat spreader on them... doesn't cost much from the manufacturing standpoint and greatly improves the cooling factor.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Wombat you're partially right. Smaller die doesn't always mean higher overclock speeds, but they tend to overclock better.

I read somewhere that the voltage would be lowered to 1.65V instead of 1.75V so that also means that the wattage will decrease.

And offcourse that heat spreader would be very handy.
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Are supposed to be compatable with the current chipsets that are out now?? I dont want to buy another mother board till Serial ATA and the like is widely avavble.

Scott
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I saw that ECS released a BIOS upgrade for K7S5A with Thoroughbread support, this board just keeps on surpricing me
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Smaller die doesn't always mean higher overclock speeds, but they tend to overclock better.
                  That may not hold out for much longer. As we approach/pass the 100nm processes, the priorities reverse. You lose more power and time on your wiring than you do on your FETs, and leakage is bitch.

And it's design more than process that matters to overclock. People have been running their 25s at 33, 33's at 40, and 300a's at 450. It's just cyclical: sometimes the processor is really at the limits, sometimes it's got plenty of room.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                  X