FIX for 100% CPU usage in XP when reading broken .AVI files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIX for 100% CPU usage in XP when reading broken .AVI files

Saw this on http://www.tweakxp.com and since I've seen a question about this, but couldn't find the thread here goes ....

and I quote :

Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it'll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
    2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shel lex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Voila! Please not that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.

NOTE: Please use caution when using regedit. Improper usage may cause windows to behave imcorrectly. Also, I cannot be held resposible. Backup your registry first.
    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
    incentivize transparent paradigms

Wohoo, finally.

Was getting pretty tired exploring those DivX directiories of mine.. =)

PeTe

Comment

Good work old chap! I too was having that problem. "Dammit!" I used to say. hehe
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Thanks Kosh, found <a href="http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8be0c34f.0112240006.11a77b21%40posting .google.com&output=gplain">more about the problem</a>.

Now I just need to find which key is used for ASF files.

Comment

Working...
        X