Parhelia to be AGP 8X ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia to be AGP 8X ?

Just saw SiS have released/announced an AGP 8X graphics card, and are going to demonstrate a 8X motherboard soon.

Although it probably wont make any difference in todays applications, what do you think the chances are the Parhelia will be 8X?

If the G400 was designed to last 4 years, and was designed as AGP 4X, it would be odd if Matrox didnt design their next gen chip to support the up and comming specs.

Link:

Specs:

SiS336 : 300Mhz Core/Mem Clock, AGP 8X, 64 or 128MB DDR SDRAM, DirectX 8.1, TV/DVI Out

SiS332 : 250/200Mhz Core/Mem Clock, AGP 8X, 64 or 128MB DDR SDRAM, DirectX 8.1, TV/DVI Out

It will most likely be AGP 8x. I am wondering if it will be AGP Pro or will they have an extra molex connector for extra power? It was stated by ant or someone else that it will require lots of power. This is a problem since most people don't have mobos that support AGP Pro. I am one of the lucky few that do. :P
    I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

And for SiS to be taking the high road is a major leap as a business decision fors the Standard hasn't been finalized yet.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If it's AGP 8x, I hope they will implement it on the very first cards. The G400 was AGP4x complient but the 1st models only worked at 2x (Like my G400max ), G400 really worked at AGP 4x later.
        If I can afford the next monster, I intend to keep it until the next generation from Matrox (as I've done since the Mystique), so I might like that AGP 8x in a couple of years.
        System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Was the difference between the AGP2x and the AGP4x cards any different?

No.

Why fret about it then?

Besides being a Matrox BB I also have a G400Max (This one I purchased back in Sept '99) that's limited to AGP2x. Have yet to see anything other than a couple of benchmarks show a difference... even then it's minuscule at best.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Not even the Kyro2 boards offer AGP4x and I don't see anyone getting upset over that.

Comment

Well, I haven't read the 8x spec in a while, but I thought it was at least optional that multiple AGP cards could be supported
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Novdid
                Not even the Kyro2 boards offer AGP4x and I don't see anyone getting upset over that.
                The "new" KYROII SE chipset (3D Prophet 4800) is AGP 4x!
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

G400 AGP 4x... eventually

The G400 was originally released as AGP 2x, but the wording on the box said it was "AGP 4x compatible". It wasn't until a later revision of the G400 that it became AGP 4x.

I know, because I still own an "AGP 4x compatible" card that is only capable of 2x. Wasn't happy then, still not happy now.

This post was edited becuase I can't spell because...
                  - Arnie

Comment

Not to kick a dead dog, but it doesn't matter if it's 4x... 2x does just as well with what these cards were designed for... even then running a card at 4x is more succepable to bus noise and many are forced to weak down the setting without regret

Comment

AGP 8x won´t help you so very much when the overall system is not keeping up with it. That´s one of the main reasons why AGP 4x is not showing so much improvement over 2x.

Or at last that´s how I know it

So,... where´s PC666?!?
                      There is no weakness, but to cringe and despair because one thinks oneself weak.
                      For so long as one´s will is undefeated one is strong, for so long as the desire for revenge still endures.
                      -Tom Holland, Deliver us from Evil

Comment

Working...
                      X