Hubless fans coming to town near you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubless fans coming to town near you

Y.S. TECH Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan (T.M.D. FAN) relocates motor from traditional location of central hub to the 4 corners.

元山科技於1987年創立,草創初期產品以電風扇、開飲機等小家電產品為主。憑著消費者對元山的肯定,迅速在南台灣建立優良口碑、日漸茁壯,元山也不辜負消費者的期許,以「水的革命家」為己任,不斷創新,提供給消費者早「安全、 品質、衛生」的生活體驗。

"The crucial point is that T.M.D. motor technology removes motor from central hub to the 4 corners and thus allows the air stream reach the center heat source much more directly than traditional fans!"

Attached Files
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

It looks really nice, now we have to see the cfm and noise levels.

Comment

It looks nice.

But one thing just hit me. Without regard to hub or hubless, why is this typical design good?
      Modern, efficient windmills have two or three fins. Most aeroplane propellers have two or three fins.
      Wouldn´t this be more efficient even for a comp. fan?

I haven´t studied the matter, as I said it just struck me.
      Any thoughts to this?

rubank

Comment

To get the same flow rate with fewer blades you have to increase RPM's and/or the pitch of the blades. This would likely increase noise.

A better design would be more blades in a turbo-fan style design with the blades at a moderate pitch and running at a lower RPM. It would also be helpful to have the blades contained within a perimeter band to contain the airflow coming off the blade tips as this can produce noise if left unchecked.

It's hard to comment on this particular design without knowing the direction of rotation. Generally a curved blade is more efficient and quiet with the arch of the blade facing the direction of rotation.

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2002, 08:55.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

OK, Dr., I hear you.

But why doesn´t this apply to e.g. windmills?
          Are you sure, or are you making an informed guess?

Come to think of it, even ceiling fans have two or three fins

rubank

Comment

Spent a lot of time designing and building ducted fan model aircraft, among other things. After building about 50 or so fans with varying pitches & configurations you learn something

Think about it:

Each blade of a given design moves x volume of air. 12x moves more air than 8x moves more air than 4x.

Make them go faster and you move more air, but at the cost of more noise because of the increasing air velocity along each blades leading edge and the shock waves this produces. Shock waves coming off the blade tips also add to noise as speed increases.

Curve the blade while maintaining the same outside diameter and you effectively lengthen them, allowing you to reduce the rotational speed without losing volumeric throughput.

Put on the perimeter band (making sure it's wide enough) and you reduce spillover from the end of the blade. This increases efficiency and reduces noise. This is why you see the vertical winglets on the end of airliner wings these days. Same mechanism since a fan blade is nothing more than a rotating wing. It can also serve as a vibration damper because of its gyroscopic effects.

Dr. Mordrid

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 March 2002, 09:44.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

i guess that widmills have only a few fans as they would turn into a sail if they had any more andbe susceptibal to blowing over. only a guess though.surely if windmills had more fans they would produce more energy as they would have a greater surface area of blades exposed to the wind and having a force applied to it as more of the air passing through would be hitting a blade.
              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Windmills aren't used for cooling... if you notice I did quote the most important reason for a hubless design...

and thus allows the air stream reach the center heat source much more directly than traditional fans!
                Propellers used for thrust, like on aeroplanes are as different as those of windmills are used for... completely different use and thus design goals.

as for windmills: these are massive structures useing natural wind current to power mechanical equipement or generators only. Thus must be lightned due to the high bearing forces the large blades impose, tipover during high wind (gusts) etc.

as for aircraft propellers: These are used for thrust. The biggest reason for not going with a duct which prevents blade tip vortices from lowering it's effeciency, they add a huge amount of mass and thus aren't practical. Prop aircraft are designed to be as light as possible.

Also if you read the page I linked moving the motor to the outer edge has much greater torque and thus when under load they aren't impeded as easily... also they're easier to start from a dead stop... requires much lower power todo.

Ceiling fans... ok the point I need to make on this is, the cool large areas cheaply, if powered from the tip would also require mounting from 3-4 points instead of hanging from one... also they have a ball joint in the mount to compensate for the grunge that builds up on the blade which causes them to become out of balance. This is of particular concern because if mounted from 3-4 point the mechanical forces would over their life time most likely rip out of the ceilings... let alone the huge amount of noise they would induce from becoming out of balance.
                Last edited by Greebe; 14 March 2002, 09:30.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Well spoken Dr.,

I won´t have to give the matter another thought then.
                  The answer my friend is blowing in the wind
                  no more

rubank

Comment

Re: Hubless fans coming to town near you

Originally posted by Greebe
                    allows the air stream reach the center heat source much more directly than traditional fans!"
                    That depends on where and how you mount the fan

rubank

Comment

Also, remember that windmill and aircraft props are usualy variable pitch.
                      This would complicate the hub design a lot if there were a lot of blades.
                      Chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Wonder wich sizes they will initialy be awailable in and to what prices....
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

So, basically, this fan is just a motor, just inside out?

Surely then, there's a magnetic field produced on the outside of the fan? This might be a bad thing inside your PC.

Comment

I'm sure they have shielded the magnetic field...

元山科技於1987年創立,草創初期產品以電風扇、開飲機等小家電產品為主。憑著消費者對元山的肯定,迅速在南台灣建立優良口碑、日漸茁壯,元山也不辜負消費者的期許,以「水的革命家」為己任,不斷創新,提供給消費者早「安全、 品質、衛生」的生活體驗。

Doesn't mention field leakage but does look to be inconsequential

Comment

to answer the availablility question you should have looked at the FAQ...

QUESTION:

What is the availability of T.M.D. FAN in the market?

ANSWER:

Here is the rough schedule for the dimensional development of the T.M.D. FAN:

Now: 70x70x15mm is now available. It is targeted for Pentium 4 CPU cooler.

April: 70x70x15mm T.M.D. FAN will be shipped out to variable locations over the world.

May to June: 60x60x25mm, 80x80x25mm T.M. FAN will be released to the market. These two dimensions are targeted for AMD CPU cooler and case cooling.

----

Pricing will be announced in mid April

Comment

Working...
                              X