Bravery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bravery

got this as an email and looked on the CNN website to confirm it to see if was legit or not, but couldn't find anything....

From CNN - Officials had said Tuesday that U.S. commanders watched in agony
    as images were beamed back from a reconnaissance plane of Navy Petty Officer

1st Class Neil C. Roberts, 32, being captured and executed. Roberts apparently fell from the Chinook after it was hit by a rocket propelled grenade Monday.

How it actually played out - Roberts fell from the Chinook attempting to assist the CH47 Crew Chief who had fallen off the tailgate. The Crew Chief was tethered to the aircraft and later pulled aboard. The helo took fire as
    it exfiled the HLZ and the pilot jinked the aircraft causing Roberts to fall. He survived the fall, and unholstered his pistol (he dropped his M4 assisting the Chief who had fallen), proceeding to stalk several of the
    Al-Qa'ida fighters on the HLZ. He killed at least two Al-Qa'ida fighters before he was killed himself. Roberts was not tortured, though his body was shot several additional times after he was killed.

Roberts was hero, not a victim, and he gave his life willingly for his teammates and his country (as he spelled out in his last letter to his
    wife):

"I consider myself blessed with the best things a man could ever hope for. My childhood is something I'll always treasure. My family is the reason I'm the person I am today. They supported and cared for me in the best way possible."The Navy, although I sacrificed personal freedom and many other things, I got just as much as I gave. My time in the Teams was special. For all the times I was cold, wet, tired, sore, scared, hungry and angry, I had a blast. The bad was balanced equally with the good."All the times spent in the company of my teammates was when I felt the closest to the men I had the privilege to work with. I loved being a SEAL. If I died doing something for the Teams, then I died doing what made me happy. Very few people have the
    luxury of that."

Petty Officer Roberts deserves the Medal of Honor, for giving his life to save another, and taking it to the enemy when others would have cowered. Our nation owes him and the members of its Armed Forces a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid.

Please think of the men and women of our Armed Forces tonight, and give a prayer that they may return home safely.

From what I could find on CNN, he was awarded a Brozne Star for Valor in combat.

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?
Working...
X