Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power problems

Hi all,

(Related to my thread 'flickering monitor' - monitor flickering caused by underpowered PSU)

I've now got an AMD approved (the first one on the list of approved PSUs for 1gig ATX) 300 Watt PSU, but still I am seeing very slight flickering (more wavery now) when the CPU is under heavy load. IT's so slight though it's not bothering me.

Anyway, MBM5 is worrying me though:

My 3.3V line is 3.39V
    My 5.0V line is 4.81V
    and My 12V line is 12.84V

Are they a bit too far out of spec? Should I get an enermax PSU?

I'm running:

Athlon 1Gig@1.33Ghz
    Epox 8K7A+ mainboard
    2x256Mb PC2100 DDRs
    40Gb IBM 60GXP HDD
    17Gb WD HDD
    G550
    SBLive!
    PCI symbios logic SCSI card
    Compaq (Intel) PCI Fast Ethernet card
    Yamaha 20x10x40 CDRW
    Toshiba 8X DVD
    3x 80mm case fans + 1x 60mm fan

It's not that much for a 300watt PSU is it? The PSU was cheap, but it is AMD approved (180W continuous on the 3.3 and 5V)

Ack! my 3.3 is now at 3.02V and my 12V at 13.02V! and the screen's flickering again

Close Seti@Home and my 3.3V shoots up to 3.39 and the 12V back down to 12.6V Is my CPU dying?

Comment

CPU isn't the first place I'd look, but how high do you have the voltage on it? What is the temp? As long as it's not consuming an insane wattage, you should be fine.

Still, it looks like that PS might not be enough, because something is dropping your 3.3 What's your 5V line doing when SETI is on?

It could be the power bus on the MB is too weak, but let's hope not. You don't have any fans plugged into the motherboard, do you? That's the first way to relieve strain. Second, you could try downclocking your CPU, at least temporarily.

Try leaving the fans unpowered for a moment, and/or some drives. If this gets rid of your flicker, then it pushes the problem back to a weak PS.

My Fortran/Source (sometimes Sparkle) is a 350W that has 220W combined, and I've never had a power problem.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I get similar voltages on my computer (also an 8kta3)
        but they don't vary much...hows your mains power like do you get brown outs?

Comment

Hi Wombat,

Originally posted by Wombat
          CPU isn't the first place I'd look, but how high do you have the voltage on it? What is the temp? As long as it's not consuming an insane wattage, you should be fine.
          I doubt it's the CPU too - my old 300W Macron PSU never had a problem (until the other day when it just flat out refused to turn on)

The chips temp: ~47'C Full load. It's at 2Volts

Still, it looks like that PS might not be enough, because something is dropping your 3.3 What's your 5V line doing when SETI is on?
          Dropping from just under 4.9 to ~4.8
          It could be the power bus on the MB is too weak, but let's hope not. You don't have any fans plugged into the motherboard, do you? That's the first way to relieve strain. Second, you could try downclocking your CPU, at least temporarily.
          I have got 2 80mm fans, plus the 60mm one on the mb headers. But fans are 12V, so it doesn't matter?
          Try leaving the fans unpowered for a moment, and/or some drives. If this gets rid of your flicker, then it pushes the problem back to a weak PS.
          Do CDROMs/CDRW take much power when they're not doing anything? If anything, they'll only effect the 12V and 5V lines anyway, surely? I though the 3.3V is only onboard the motherboard.
          My Fortran/Source (sometimes Sparkle) is a 350W that has 220W combined, and I've never had a power problem.
          Might borrow an enermax tomorrow.

Weird - I've just started SETI up again, and now no flickering and my 3.3 is as 3.39V????? I dunny understandy!

EDIT: there it goes! 3.3 back down to 2.93V, 12V over 13 & screen flicker. Close SETI, instantly back to normal.

Marshmallowman - I'm running on 1400VA APC SmartUPS. (I'm splitting one of the power outputs though to the PC, monitor & router - that's OK isn't it? The overall load on the UPS is only the 1st LED out of the 5.
          Last edited by SteveC; 13 March 2002, 18:16.

Comment

OK with the core set to 2.00v your pulling 89.5 watts peak... that's an aweful lot... more than a stock Tbird @ 1.4gHz (~72 watts peak)... better scale up to a PS that can handle a much heavier load
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

actually second thought... I'm leaning toward the problem being the MB... everyone knows how I love to blaim caps, but this is the most common part to give problems just like this. Push them to their limit long enough and they will start to flake out and eventually fail. Please stop it before it does or it can kill the CPU and or other componets.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Let's see, you're running a 50W part up at 90W (doh, greebe posted that first).

I would pull the fans off the MB and onto 4-pin adapters, at least to troubleshoot. I have seen fans on the MB cause instability in the past.

About the drives, you're right that they don't take 3.3V, but it still comes from the same power supply. Seeing the 12V line jump like that, it looks like you're pushing the PS to the limit. Any reduction in draw is likely to lessen your problem.

The delay before your 3.3V line drops is kind of interesting. Sounds like either the filtering caps on the MB or the caps in the PS (more likely) can cover for you for a little while.

Marsh has a good point though. What exactly does the flickering on your monitor look like? Can you get the monitor and the computer on different circuits? There's a chance (outside my area of expertise, but probably not that likely anyway) that the PS is throwing some nasty noise back on the line, and your monitor is picking it up. Odds are, it doesn't filter from one "output" to another.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Mike, why would bad MB caps push his 12V up?

Comment

This is the 2nd PSU to do this. The first was an old (but trusty!) 250W. Going to knock the CPU back down a bit now.

Comment

Actually Rob each output is filtered seperately, but.. and this is a biggie... normally there are two major voltages produced from most switching supplies (-12vdc and +12) and from them the rest are derived. Hence once, lets say this is a cap on the MB, starts to fail it will induce a high (relatively speaking) frequency noise (commonly called hash) that is induced back into all the other voltage derived from it's respective voltage rail. Even tho there is filtering this is way more than the filters can handle and thus you come up with a problem just like Steve is seeing.

This is also why he's seeing two voltages going low while the main is going high (nature of the switching regulator beast.. main trying to keep up with the load imposed on it.

Comment

Now back at 1Ghz, CPU@ Default voltage (MBM reads 1.80V).

No SETI:

3.3V = 3.39V
                        5.0V = 4.98V
                        12.0V = 12.31V

CPU Temp = 31'C

So far so good.

Now loading Seti

Comment

So far, so good still!

With Seti for 5 mins or so:

3.3V - 3.39V
                          5V - 4.95V
                          12V - 12.43V

CPU still 1.80V, and temp only 32'C (it's cold in here, plus it's got a zalman flower with a 80mm fan stuck on the side of it!)

Comment

And 5 mins of prime95 no difference

This current 300W PSU gives 25A on the 5V line, my old 250W also gave 25A on the 5V line but looking at the specs, my old Macron 300W that worked fine before had 30A on the 5V line.

I know the 5V line is the most important on the Epox 8K7A(+) cos it derives the 3.3v from it and doesn't use the PSU's 3.3v.

Looks like I will get yet another PSU, the enermax 350W gives up to 32A on the 5V line so that looks like a good choice. I know someone I can borrow it from too to check it works before I buy one.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Hurrah!

Currently at 1400Mhz, CPU @ 2.08V, all drives/fans going and <B>no flickering!</B> Even with SETI@Home running

3.3 is 3.39V
                              5.0 is 4.76V
                              12. is 12.37V

How? An Enermax 350W PSU

CPU has reached 51'C though

Comment

Working...
                              X