3D Prophet 4800 announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Prophet 4800 announced

La Gacilly, March 13, 2002. Hercules is happy to unveil the new 3D Prophet 4800, the latest contribution to the 3D Prophet KYRO line. Powered by the KYROII SE chipset, 3D Prophet 4800 is optimized for the latest OpenGL® and DirectX™ APIs, offering home users the best 3D performance in all current and future games. Equipped with the latest high speed AGP4X/2X KYROII SE chipset, 3D Prophet 4800 offers gamers a 200MHz core clock with 64MB of RAM, new 3D technology features and a quality TV-Output enabling users to significantly upgrade their PCs for playing games and watching DVDs. http://us.hercules.com/mediaroom/pr/lookpr.php3?pr=158
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

is this an interim part untill kyro 3 or has kyro 3 been canned?
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

It's clocked higher then the Kyro 2 4500 (Both mem and core) and it has full T&L support (The 4500 model did not have any)!

And no this is not the Kyro 3!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

and no it can't compete performance wise .......
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
          and no it can't compete performance wise .......
          Only time will tell!

Comment

afaik, it doesn't do 'hardware' TnL, but 'software' TnL, much like the Voodoo4/5 did. I.E. it 'emulates' hardware TnL in the drivers, probably because it's more efficient than the software emulation in Direct3D and because it'll work in OpenGL as well (hopefully ).

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
              afaik, it doesn't do 'hardware' TnL, but 'software' TnL, much like the Voodoo4/5 did. I.E. it 'emulates' hardware TnL in the drivers, probably because it's more efficient than the software emulation in Direct3D and because it'll work in OpenGL as well (hopefully ).
              These operations guarantee more realistic scenes without increasing CPU resources overload, which maximizes the frame rates in games. The enhanced T&L engine proves to be up to 15% faster than standard engines in games where T&L causes a bottleneck.

Comment

well, nothing you just quoted contradicts what I said???

Comment

SMART 3D Render, Texture8, Internal True Color, TrueRender OnChip FSAA and Bump Map Complete were already present on the original Kyro and the T&L part certainly sounds like a driver thing to me.

All in all this looks like a Kyro at 200 MHz with 3dfx style T&L support.

It wouldn't surprice me one bit if the T&L enhancements works on Kyro I & II as well.

It can still be a nice card though, especially if it's cheap.
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

It´s the same chip, only with more 25Mhz. It´ll be cheap.
                    It´s a little too little, too late (225Mhz+ would be much more competitive, even with the GF4 MX´s), but for the price, you´ll be able to play all you games at 1024x768x32 at a decent speed.

Comment

Working...
                    X