Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want some advise, dunno if this is the right place though.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want some advise, dunno if this is the right place though.

Hi all,

I noticed that a lot of you are using ATI/Nvidia cards as well as Matrox and while im getting a PCI G450 at some point soon i was just looking at ebuyer.com and found this..

Now i know the ATI 7500 is a good GPU (well i mean its reasonable), but its SDR, and im not familular with the brand Super??

**this isnt instead of a G450 btw its as well as. The G450 is a G450 i want it for its excellent 2D display quality but i want something in the AGP to speed along my growing collection of games**

I have a Quadro2 MXR at the min and the the performance is rather un-inspiring. Im getting framrate problems in games ( even ones such as Counter-Strike, i ran CS in D3D mode and got about 15FPS!!! ) and it also seems rather poor at CAD. Being out run by my original GF1 modded to Quadro . Thanks to its lack of Hardware AA lines. Well my situation has changed a bit and i need something a bit better for games, and i saw this card and wondered if it was a bargain or a rip-off.

I tried to look for a review and had no luck. Dunno if this is the right forum to ask it in but you all seem pretty helpful so i thought id give it a shot.
    Last edited by Robert Hague; 13 March 2002, 11:41.
    Posted by Robert

CPU| Athlon XP 2200+ MEMORY| 512MB (DDR400) STORAGE| 82GB IBM UDMA100 DISPLAY| ATI Radeon AIW 9700pro OS| Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition)

Just say "NO" to OEM Radeons.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah i just found some reviews they suck it seems.

Ta though.

I think i might have too streach to a GF3 ti 200 or a GF4 MX440 to get anything decent
      Posted by Robert

CPU| Athlon XP 2200+ MEMORY| 512MB (DDR400) STORAGE| 82GB IBM UDMA100 DISPLAY| ATI Radeon AIW 9700pro OS| Windows Server 2003 (Standard Edition)

Comment

Get a Radeon 8500 if you can get hold of a cheap one. And please don't buy a GF4 MX, it's just a GF2 on steroids.

Comment

Yeah but not that bad if you can get them cheap enough, about £93

Ive seen a GF3 ti200 (64mb DDR and DVI/TV out) for £127 so im trying to streach to see if i can afford that hehe no gurantee's but we will see.

So out of a RETAIL Radeon 7500 (DDR this time) with DVi/TV OUT and a RETAL GF2 MX440 which would you say to go for? Incase i cant scrape that extra cash and i have to aim a bit lower?

Cheers
          Posted by Robert

Comment

$ave your pennie$, and get the next Matrox card!

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

But Gurm, maybe he can't wait until SOON™.
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

He'll regret it if he doesn't. No joke.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hmm.. first you all agree that next gen matrox will cost A LOT, then you suggest it to EVERYONE. Even if they are trying to get the money for a GF3Ti200 ~ £120. What a joke.

Even if its Matrox[TM] if you cant get £120 for a card how the hell are you supposed to get the $350-400 [or what ever its going to cost] for the matrox card ? IF matrox ever get that card out. Soon[TM] is getting pretty old.

PeTe

Comment

I had a Super 8500LE - it was actually made by ATI.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=32468 only £145 now! A bargain in my opinion.

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

I've earmarked a Supergrace Radeon VE 32mb for my fathers PC when I start to build it. You cant argue too hard with £36 for a cut-down Radeon with TV out.
                      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

RichL- I just got a 64MB version of that made by Mentor for the same price. Shout if you want the supplier.

T.
                        FT.

Comment

Pete - I wasn't being serious. I know he can't afford the Goat.

Regardless of whether the "Super" card appears to have been made by ATI (it wasn't), the simple fact is that it's inferior to a regular Radeon. Just shop pricewatch and find someone selling a genuine brown-box Radeon on sale.

- Gurm

Comment

Ta for the advise all

Well it seems i can afford the GF3 ti200 after all. DVI & TVOUT that should be pretty speedy for a while i would imagine.

Of course my original budget was something like £60-70 and ive just gone over it by about 50% LMAO. Anyway's im just having a final look round before i place my order Maybe then i can start buying some games instead of more hardware hehe
                            Posted by Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Andrews
                              RichL- I just got a 64MB version of that made by Mentor for the same price. Shout if you want the supplier.

T.
                              Argh!
                              Just finished the order for the bits from EBuyer, but thanks anyway!

£308 for a PC comprising a Duron 950, 32mb SuperGrace Radeon VE, 128mb Ram, 20gb Hdd, DVD, USB modem etc etc
                              Considering it wasnt that long ago that 'entry level' PCs would cost about £700 excluding monitor, I'm fairly pleased. It ought to keep the old man happy. Now all I have to do is tech support over the phone for him.

PS :
                              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                              X