Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Lost HDD contents

Hi all,

In need of some assistance here - I just thought I'd do a windows update, and it wanted a few security patches to install, so I let it. Then I did the reboot as asked, then windows (win2k sp2) wouldn't boot up...

After a few attempts of safe mode etc, it now boots OK, apart from one thing - my d drive (17Gb WD) is now 'unformatted' !

However, In DOS (win98 boot disk) I can access the drive fine, and scandisk says no errors. Running PQMagic6 in DOS says the drive is unformatted...

Any bright ideas?

One thing - I was using a poor PSU (see flickering monitor thread), but I've just replaced it with a 300watter and it made no difference.

Ah don't worry! Fixed it

Fdisk /mbr'ed it and then SYSed it, and all is well again in Stevie Land

Comment

I was able to recover a drive that was unpartitioned under W2K. My removable boot drive wasn't seated quite right and after getting many disk errors, I rebooted the system to find that the partition wasn't visible anymore, under any OS. I went into the recovery console of W2K and lo and behold, all was recovered w/o a problem. Luv it!

/edit
      See your "fixed it" post now. Well keep the recovery console in mind for any future problems.
      /edit
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
      X