Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY IN HELL is a TOY more secure than an AIRPORT??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY IN HELL is a TOY more secure than an AIRPORT??

My son's 4th birthday is Thursday so naturally we bought him the usual assortment of toys, books etc.

One of the toys was a set of metal trucks which included an SUV, tow truck, car hauler + 4 cars and a HumVee.

The problem: each truck is encased in a complexly folded box around with 4 - 6 stiff wire ties through the box in several locations, TIED IN KNOTS, twisted around the axels and body plus they are taped with enough tape to hold down a REAL HumVee!!!!

It's going to take me at least half an hour for me to get the damn things out of the #$%^&*@ BOX!!!!

Jeezzzzzzz......

If airports were this secure a flea couldn't fart on an airplane without the FBI jumping it.....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 March 2002, 06:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You think that's bad? Try toys for infants. Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick these things are a pain.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I feel sorry for the little tikes these days. Remembering once upon at time not long ago when all you had todo is tear off the wrapping paper, rip open the box with extreme joy and start playing... now it's hand that toy to your parents and wait a good 5 minutes (at least) as they wrestle with the packaging even tho they are armed with needle nose pliers, some heavy duty wire cutters and a knife... even then you have to be careful not to break the blasted thing it's so tightly bound.

Why is all this the way it is... retailers are forcing the manufactures hands to prevent in store theft, wonderful world huh

(can't remember what it was but we bought our son something awhile back and I can garranty it cost more to package it than than the blasted nickel toy actually cost! How bloody sad
      Last edited by Greebe; 12 March 2002, 13:11.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And don't forget sometimes you even have to pull out the old trusty screwdriver not only to get it out of the package but to be able to put batteries in it.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Yea.
          I experience this problem every x-mas, birthday, and any other gift-giving occasion.

This past x-mas my kids got some "robo" animals....a frog and a cat...
          And I had to have a phillips screwdriver just to get them out of the packaging!
          Insane...
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Try opening a packet of biscuits. Pull this strip what strip ballcocks get a knife or scisors. Or the Granny proof bottle of tablets that little Joey age 2 can get in in two seconds.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I get to unpack Barbies by the truckload at Christmas (no not for me ).

It seems that they attatch them to the box in such a way as to prevent them from being detatched by an accidental nuclear blast. They tie down every limb with about a foot of wire, sew the clothing into the box and top it off by sewing the HAIR down to the box as well. At least with trucks you CAN use knives and pliers without tearing the lace off of them.

By the time I get Barbie all out of the box she looks like she has been mugged by a gang of thugs in a back alley.
              Last edited by Pneumatic; 12 March 2002, 16:31.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

LOL... yeah yeah yeah sure Don... we know what you're doin with those Barbie's by the truckload!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Gee....Barbies are kinda small aren't they?

I guess if the shoe fits

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have been around here long enough that I guess I should have known that was comming.

Comment

... tie down every limb with about a foot of wire, sew the clothing into the box and top it off by sewing the HAIR down to the box as well. At least with trucks you CAN use knives and pliers without tearing the lace off of them.

By the time I get Barbie all out of the box she looks like she has been mugged by a gang of thugs in a back alley.
                      Well, as long as it's limited to Barbies. I suppose it's better that you play with dolls, rather than let these impulses carry over into your everyday life.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Re: WHY IN HELL is a TOY more secure than an AIRPORT??

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        WHY IN HELL is a TOY more secure than an AIRPORT??

Dr. Mordrid

i'm not sure about that; when i went to Florida last week, i had to take off my shoes and i had sandals on.. i was like.. PEOPLE.. the reason i wore sandals out of my house in 20 degree weather with 2 inches of snow on the ground is so i didn't have to go thru all this shit!
                        Last edited by Lizzard[MPE]; 13 March 2002, 13:49.
                        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Well Lizzie, the question remains... did you jump... screaming and cursing Charlotte all the way down?

Comment

Lat time we flew I emptied my pockets and went through the metal detector. It went off because I still had my cell phone in the center pocket of my sweatshirt. I took it out and went back through but the guard pulled me aside. They made me take off my shoes and pass them through the x-ray machine. They wanded me with the metal detector and even patten me down.

Once we FINALLY got through, we went to wait for the plane. As they were letting us on my wife said "Oh man, they are spot checking people." I turned and looked just in time to see a guy bent over grabbing his ankles. I said "NO WAY!" then I realized he had just put his shoes back on and was tying them. I thought they were taking this spot checking thing too far!

We made it through that one without getting stopped, thank goodness.

Comment

I had a round trip with 1 stop each way. I was "randomly spot checked" 3 out of four times. There must be a lookout for "large 6'1" white males with long hair" after that Reid thing.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X