streaming video over network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streaming video over network?

I'm planning to stream video over our network at my work....

Is it posible to use a RRG to do that?

And if so how much CPU power is needed?

And what is best to use Real or MS (WME)?

Thanx!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I find both Real Media and WMV to be surprisingly good on some source clips and just plain awful on most. You need to buy the streaming server for either.

Depending on your network and the number of concurent viewers an mpeg1 file on a network volume may be the best video quality vs hassle tradeoff. Mpeg1 is same data rate as Audio CD and can be played back on modern Macs and PCs without having to install any client software or codecs. While its not streaming, the effect is pretty much the same if one double-clicks an MPEG1 file mounted on a network shared volume over a LAN.

--wally.

Comment

The source will be from a security camera.

The idea was to be able to use the existing network and not having to wire a new one for the video signal
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Have you tried Netmeeting?

Might be a place to start.

--wally.

Comment

I just remembered that Windows media encoder alows for streaming content!

Onced I remembered that It toke less than 15 minutes to set it up and test it!

And It works great!!!

Cat cable is so much easier to use than coax.....

Comment

Working...
          X