G550 - enough for flight sims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 - enough for flight sims?

I'm about to quit PC gaming and would want a top 2D quality card like the G550. However, I'm still planning to play games like "The Sims" and flight sims. Would this card be enough for that task? Also, I've heard that 2D quality of the G550 is lower then the G450. Is this true? Please help.

Thanks!

I have run MS FS2002, in DH mode on my G550, with no problems, as long as you dont drag too many windows to the secondary display.

The issue of G550 visual quality has been debated several times. Some say their G550 doesn't look as good as their G400/450. Personally, I think it looks a little better. The colors seem a tad sharper, the overall quality is as good as any Matrox card I've run...
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Actualy, I've just been told that the best performing card from matrox is the G400MAX! You might wan't to take a look at "Shop@Matrox" site because they are saling refurbished G400MAX for 195$can. It might be what you need.

Gxis!

Macbeth

Comment

FS2k and later are enough fast with G550 although are more than thirty percent faster with G400Max. Actually G550 is a bit faster than G450 but much slower than G400Max on 2D and 3D.

Comment

That's not been my experience Inray. I pulled out my G550 last week and replaced with my Max and found that not only was it almost as fast (somewhere between a vannilla G400 and a Max) but the 2D speed was right inline with that of my Max. Tested this in Win98 and XP... same results

G550 does have the best 2D quality
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry Greeby, i have to dissagree with you (again ?)

Take a look in XPbench user results (www.xpbench.com)
            G400Max gives 23-26 while G550 14-18 at the same res/refresh
            My own tests gave G550 (and G450) a speed decrease of 10 - 30 percent with any 2D benchtest or desktop application i used.
            And that's normal if you think the 64bit memory path.
            BTW i always run those tests and of course my desktop at 32bit color
            Not to mention the G550 2D speed problem when used with many P4 boards. I was one of the first people who noticed this weird issue and Matrox people confirmed that.

Comment

Working...
            X