Someone, please don't sign the NDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone, please don't sign the NDA

When the G450 was being beta tested, just about everyone clever and informed around the MURC had signed up and was under a "shut up" agreement with Matrox, also known as the NDA.

It didn't make for very interesting discussions around here. Someone would say something, there would be a reply saying they were wrong, but we couldn't learn anything more. In fact, you NDA signers couldn't repeat something you heard from another source if it had to do with the G450, or what many of us thought might be the G800.

Maximum PC had a discussion about the topic of NDAs about
    a year ago. They decided not to sign any more because it interfered with their ability to be reporters of new technology.

I suggest that at least some of you MURC members would consider this option to turn down the offer of beta testing the next Matrox product.

I really don't understand the Matrox philosophy of secrecy in these matters, especially if they are only months away from completing the product. Suppose the specs that are leaked are true and Nvidia learns of them. What will they do in response? Crack the whip of their engineers to make the GeForce 5 even faster than before? Its not like anyone is holding back (unless they are getting technology from aliens).

Even when it comes to new innovations from Matrox, there are no competitors matching what they offer even years later. Who is doing bump mapping the Matrox way? Who is doing talking heads conferencing in their next product? No one that I am aware of.

hear hear, Puppie

However, If someone asked me to try this 'new bit of kit', just sign here, I think I would rip their arm off to sign!

It does get a bit boring when there is nothing but "winks", "soon's" and almost amusing "cant tell ya that" posts, not what can they do?

Innovation sometimes wins, sometimes looses....

you say:-
    Who is doing bump mapping the Matrox way? Who is doing talking heads conferencing in their next product?

Answer:-
    Who wants to? It was an innovation that was silly!

RedRed
    Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

It's a difficult one the subject of NDAs and someone like myself has to weigh up the pros and cons, obviously this is different for the BBz as they have no choice. As to whether I get offered anything is debatable especially after the Parhelia posting. I have been vilified by Matrox before over rumours even though we hadn't actually posted them so I can see my name not being a popular one over there at present, but if they want to distance themselves from us the way they have done I don't know how they can feel aggrieved. I suspect Matrox will overlook "little" sites like the MURC purely favouring the big boys like Anandtech.

In the past when I've been offered NDAs they have always been very close to the reveal dates, no more than 4 weeks. I have always respected NDAs as I believe if you are prepared to sign up to them then you must honour them to the letter unlike some other sites I could mention. I've only ever signed NDAs (in this context) with Matrox but having talked to people who have signed with other companies I think the Matrox ones have been extremely fair without the strangle holds and conditions that others try to implement.

Comment

In the past when I've been offered NDAs they have always been very close to the reveal dates, no more than 4 weeks.
        So have you been offered to sign any NDA's recently from Matrox?
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Before when I've signed a NDA with them part of the NDA is that I cannot reveal I've signed a NDA. I haven't signed a NDA with them and don't expect to as I'm a bad, bad boy

Comment

Originally posted by Ant
            Before when I've signed a NDA with them part of the NDA is that I cannot reveal I've signed a NDA. I haven't signed a NDA with them and don't expect to as I'm a bad, bad boy
            Well let us know when you are a bad, bad boy with a new matrox card in your hands

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Or perhaps a bad, bad boy with some information about a Matrox card, that we don't know annything about.....

Comment

Time will tell...

Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
                Or perhaps a bad, bad boy with some information about a Matrox card, that we don't know annything about.....

Comment

Working...
                X