TCPIP connection with USB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TCPIP connection with USB ?

Is there any way to make a TCP/IP connection between 2 PCs using USB ?

I think this could be very interesting with USB2, that 480Mbit bandwidth is almost begging to be used ...
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

You can get USB link cables for USB v1 - Basically a soap-on-a-rope cable (USB cable with a blob in the middle with some electronics in it) - gives 4-8mbps.

I know you can also do it with Firewire (400mbps), but I've yet to see a USB v2 one...

Comment

Would work for very short distances, but the version 2 spec still doesn't address the line length limitation of USB 1.2 (.3 ?)... which is truely sad cause we all wanted that more so than additional bandwidth IMHO
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The maximum legnth of the cable in both USB 2.0 and Firewire is very short, around a couple of meters (<3m) I believe.

Comment

I've seen dongles that let you plug CAT-5 into USB ports. Guys at work have used it for a hundred feet or so to do home networking.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My new Linksys router provides one USB port. I thought it would be handy to have when a visitor brings over a laptop w/o a NIC. I didn't look for multiple USB port hubs or switches.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Yeah, my USB DSL modem will actually accept one USB and one CAT5, that's a nifty little trick to run two computers on the same modem... hehe.

They make USB NICs as well...

But you're so much better off just using your NIC.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X