Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering Monitor

Hi all,

My PC's monitor has started really annoying me - in the last couple of weeks, it has started to flicker a bit when in use. I've assumed it's just on its way out - it is a fair few years old (21" Dell - made by Nokia), and was getting prepared to buy a new one.

Anyway, it does the flickering mostly when something on the screen changes, like dragging a window round. The flickering is definitely not a digital artefact though - the brightness alters rapidly and what look like lines of interference run across it while it flickers.

I've just worked something out though - the flickering is not being caused by something on the monitor changing, but when the CPU is doing something... Loading up SETI@Home and minimising it so that nothing is happening on screen still causes the screen to flicker.

The only thing I can think of is that my 300W PSU gave up a few weeks ago, and now I'm temporarily using a 250W one on my 1Ghz athlon @ 1.33Ghz, and a load of stuff in my PC. Could it be that?
    I think it is: My 3.3V line is 3.01V and the 5V line is 4.6V but the 12V line is 12.6V. If I close down Seti@home the 3.3V line goes up to 3.15V, and the 12V line goes down to 12.3V.

I completely forgot I'd changed PSU, and just then was the first time I've checked the voltages! Damn! I was just thinking about buying myself a nice TFT monitor

LOL Good googly moogly put a real PS in there Steve!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Googly, moogly?!?!

Comment

Yeah, sure. Do you get "The Simpsons" in Sweden? Is it translated.

Ack, that's a scary thought: Ned Flanders in Swedish.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Great googly moogly

Ah, rememberances of the music and wit of Frank Zappa.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

AHA!!! We do get the Simpsons here, and they speak english. My bad.

Comment

back to the subjekt:

As Grebee said:

Never Ever Use a PS weaker than 300W with a AMD cpu!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I haven't said that... what's more important is the individual specs on the PS used and the demands put on the system (total load), 300watts is just a rule of thumb, but I always suggest using AMD recommended PS webpage as a reference.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I had a system running an Athlon 1.4, 2x7200 RPM Hard Drives, 1 48x CD-Rom, 1 4x4x24 Burner, A GF2 Pro, 768MB SD Ram, A Full Asus A7A133, Creative Labs Sounblaster Live 5.1, two 3Com network Cards and 4 80mm Fans all off an uncertified POS 145Watt PS.

I had to change the PS to a 250 Watt one after I threw in a SCSI card and two scsi drives.

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                  X