Don't know if this old news or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if this old news or not.

Saw today in an ad for the Best Buys in my area that they are now sell AlienWare computers.

Joel
    Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
    Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Old news.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
      Old news.
      Coming next week, somebody teaches isochar how to be polite.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

He's not being rude, he's practicing conservitive data economics!

Comment

Amazing how smilies change the context of a message. (I was *not* being rude, it's just the way you read it.) Hm, better put a smilie before someone thinks that this post is rude.

Comment

I was in Best Buy down in Sarasota today and they had them (just came in).
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'd rather build my own gaming machine

mmmmmm...dual Athlon's...

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Dual-proc rigs are slower in all games than their uni-proc equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                  You forgot your smilie

Jeff
                  -We stop learning when We die, and some
                  people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                  Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                  - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                  - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Damn. My netiquette is awful.

Comment

I don't buy that at all. Sure, it's slower sometimes. but even with a game designed for one thread of control, if you can devote an entire processor to the game, and the other processor to servicing the rest of the PC, there are speed improvements to be had. Also, once people get proper SMP drivers written.....
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Dual processors are definatly not slower in games. My duallie is a tad faster in games with the two procs activated. And the smillie
                        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Every benchmark I've seen always shows Duallies falling behind. Perhaps if you have a lot of programs running in the background it will make a difference.

Comment

Also, when working with multi processor machines, remember amdahl's law.

In essence - 2 CPUs does not equal 2 x 1CPU

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                              Also, when working with multi processor machines, remember amdahl's law.

In essence - 2 CPUs does not equal 2 x 1CPU
                              I agree...

The rule of thumb we use for SMP math is:

First CPU = 1
                              Second CPU = .5
                              Third CPU = .25
                              Fourth CPU = .125

There is a lot of loss in Symmetric Multi-Processing from inner-processor communication. This is the primary reason that SMP has been such a pain to implement. And the only people to use more then two processors in a windows environment have tons of money. The last time I looked there was only one manufacturer left making four processor (Intel based) machines, Compaq. If you look at the large-scale implementations of multi-processor computers you find either a combination of SMP and AMP (Asymmetric Multi-Processing) or straight AMP.

By the way we use this for both Linux and Windows. Neither has had a lot of luck with the SMP game. At least, as of, the last time I looked. It has been a while.

Jeff
                              -We stop learning when We die, and some
                              people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
                              Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
                              - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
                              - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Working...
                              X