X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP and CDROM weirdness!!

Hi everyone!
    I recently moved over to Windows XP, and its running fine as of now
    But I’ve noticed a strange phenomenon. Whenever I give the shut down command in Win XP, after it has saved the settings etc., the CDROM drive spins up to its full speed, and only after it has spun down does the system power down. The drive keeps spinning for around 7-8 seconds, and it also makes some noises as if the lens assembly/read head is moving back and forth! This unnecessarily delays the shutdown! Has anyone else experienced this?
    Another thing: I noticed in Windows 2000, that if I gave the eject command (by right clicking on the CDROM drive icon), the CDROM drive would seem to spin up and the tray would come out at the same time, making a loud grinding noise!! While in Win Me, the tray would eject normally (without the drive spinning up). Because of this I’m scared to eject the tray by the same method in Win XP! Any ideas why this is happening??
    Cheers
    Ovi

System config:
    P-III 450, 192 MB SDRAM, Acorp i440zx mobo, Samsung 4.3 GB ATA/33 HDD, Creative Infra 48x CDROM drive, Asus V3800 TNT2 Pro (32 MB) videocard, Creative Vibra 128 soundcard etc……

Anyone????????????? Please........................

Comment

Err nope not in the past. You haven't got a virus checker thats checking all removeable media when windoze shuts down??
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The PIT:
        I've already disabled Norton AV2002's auto protect, and also removed it from startup, so it can't be that. Also, this spin up thing does not happen at the start of the shutdown process (where a virus checker would usually kick in), it happens right before the power switches off. Looks like this problem is exclusive to my setup!
        Cheers
        Ovi
        Last edited by Ovi; 13 March 2002, 13:18.

Comment

Working...
        X