Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Recycling for the moderately geeky.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Recycling for the moderately geeky.

Homebuilt Router/Fileserver/Printserver: I thought long and hard about an 8 port Linksys or Netgear router, either of these would cost about $150 USD to my door. Then I looked around and found a better solution in my junkpile...

Spare parts special:

No-name Mid-tower
    No-name 300w PSU
    No-name Scavenged-From-A-Dead-PSU 80mm Fan.
    Abit BE-6 Motherboard (Spit)
    Intel P2 400
    128MB No-name PC-100 RAM
    Adaptec ANA6911 10BT PCI NIC
    Adaptec ANA62011 10/100 PCI NIC (32 bit mode)
    ATI Rage II-C AGP card (spit)
    Western Digital WDAC38400 8.4 GB HDD (IDE)
    Western Digital WDBB45 45 GB HDD (IDE)
    No-name (Oooold Name) CD-ROM (IDE)
    Iomega Zip 100 Internal (IDE)
    WinME (OK, OK, OK....You can't use the damn HPT366 IDE Controller in Win2K/XP, OK?)

No Monitor, No keyboard, No Mouse
    TightVNC as the administrative interface.

Cost?

I think about $30.00US for the PSU, and $70.00US for the 45GB HDD (eBay Dutch), a sparkly new 8 port Linksys switch was $50.00US: the rest I had lying around.

Not a bad way to get yourself more for the same or less...
    Last edited by MultimediaMan; 10 March 2002, 11:06.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Re: Computer Recycling for the moderately geeky.

Originally posted by MultimediaMan
    WinME (OK, OK, OK....You can't use the damn HPT366 IDE Controller in Win2K/XP, OK?)
    You can't? Why not?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

My old 486/66 (w/ P83 Overdrive) only has 16 MB (cost me $400!!!) so there's only a few things its good for these days. I never got finished with trying to make it into a NetWare backup/print/file server.

Some of Linksys's competitors make routers that include print servers at very competitive prices. I wish Linksys made an 8-port (including 1 USB port) router which includes a print server. They do make a stand-alone print server.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Zokes...just try it once...ONCE. Spell H.A.R.D.L.O.C.K.
        Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
        X