Boot XP from diskette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot XP from diskette

I don´t know if this is of any interest but obviously a lot of people have problems with their WinXP.

I have seen “info” floating around cyberspace saying you can´t boot XP from diskettes.
    This is apparently not so, you jut can´t make these diskettes from within XP, as you can in NT or Win2k.

You can download <a href=”download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/install/310994/win98mexp/en-us/winxp_en_pro_bf.exe” target=”_blank”>this</a> file from M$, to make start diskettes for XP.

Have 6 diskettes ready when you run the file.

Perhaps you all know about it, but I haven´t seen it posted here and I just found out myself.
    Maybe it will do someone some good.

rubank

PS. I haven´t tried it yet, d/l now.

If your retrograde hardware can't boot a CD, maybe you ought to upgrade BEFORE trying to install XP, no?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm sorry. That wasn't a personal attack on you, please don't think it was. It was an attack on all the people who can't make their Windows XP CD's boot because they have degenerate machines.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

What if they have non-bootable versions of the CD, i.e. a developer version? My multi-version W2K CD is non-bootable.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I cannot boot my PC from CD either however it is far from "Retrograde".
          The issue I have is that all my CD devices are SCSI and for my HD's I use an add-in Promise RAID controller.
          Because the motherboard sees both the Adaptec & Promise cards as SCSI controllers it has a problem with booting from the CD devices.
          IE, my system will hang just after the "Bootable CD detected, press any key to boot from CD" message.
          A known issue.
          So, although oldish news, still very helpful and useful to know for people in similar situations.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Xortam,

Making the CD bootable is... how do I say this... not hard.

But I do understand that there are reasons for wanting these discs.

- Gurm

Comment

Gurm ... I suppose one could copy the install files over to a custom bootable CD if one was really in a bind. I wasn't able to boot from bootable CDs in the past though my system should handle it. I haven't retried in quite a while even though my system BIOS and on-board SCSI BIOS have been upgraded several times since. I suppose I should try again but I just haven't had the need. Hell, with W2K, I rarely even reboot.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
              X